Red Eared Slider Feeding

Discussions about turtles.

Hi---

I have a red eared slider that has a shell length of 6.5 inches. I have two questions.
1) Is he considered an adult?
2) How can I tell if it\'s male or female?
3) He is definitely a beggar like you guys say turtles are. He is constantly hungry. I heard you are supposed to feed them the amount that is the size of their head and neck combined. Is that true? The reptile stick containers always say a \"few\" sticks, which is kinda vague. For his size, how many times should we feed him a day and how many sticks should we give him each time??? Thank you.
Debi S.
Level 2
Level 2

HI !
What I have researched and found is that RES are really considered adults around 5 years of age.
Males are typically smaller than females and their front nails are longer so they can stroke the female during mating.
The females are typically larger and their flut in their tales are closer to their bodies.
For eating : I have two RES that are two years old. I feed them in the mornings and at night. I give them as much as they can eat in like five minutes. I always scoop out what is left over as it will make the tank dirtier if left in.
I give them a handful of pellets.
ALso when I give the feeder fish I buy a dozen at a time and just dump the whole bag in there. They will eat them as they want. SOmetimes in one day other times I might still see some fish a week later.
They are like most and will stop eating when full.
Hope I helped a little !

So if he is still begging for food, then he is still hungry??? But we feed him like twenty sticks at a time, and twice a day. It seems like a lot. I just don\'t want him to overeat and get sick. One time the local pet store ran outta pet food and he went a day without food. How long can they go without food?
l8or g8or

some recommend feeding every other day, so it\'s ok. I feed mine Repto-min one day, and the next greens & a few carrots.
StephanieW31
Level 2
Level 2

I feed mine twice a day....but like you I am not sure if I feed them enough. They keep swimming up to the glass like they want more and more....and more haha...I put a few snails in the tank a day and keep three rosies in the tank also. The fish will eat any leftover food so that a plus for me! I give them a little treat at night when I get home, about an hour and a half before lights out. Usually bloodworms, or dried shrimp. They seem to be doing ok so I am taking that as a good sign that they get enough to eat.

Where do you get dried shrimp and those bloodworms that you mention? I only give my 4 little red ears regular food from pet store. Should I give them more????
Thanks for any input..... Jeany
Debi S.
Level 2
Level 2

The pet stores I go to have the brine shrimp. I actually have my own millworms to feed them. Yep, in a container in the garage -- worms !! Hey , it is cheaper than buying them.
But RES will act like they are hungry most of the time. This doesn\'t necassarily mean they are. If you feed them twice a day they are fine. I feed mine until they stop eating. As they get older they may need less feeding but for now I will keep feeding them twice daily.
They also like cooked chicken !!!!
lulumac1
Level 3
Level 3

My RES is 3 1/2 inches. He\'s grown fast, but now he is over weight. My boyfriend woudn\'t stop feeding him. But now he is on a diet. Be sure not to feed him every time he looks like hes begging for food, my boyfriend fell for it, but they associate you with food, so of course they\'ll beg. If their skin looks like it folds and kind of rolls a lot when they tuck into their shell then they are over weight. So now its morning, and evening feedings, shrimp, and sticks, with occasional carrots. Thats plenty food for him.

Its funny to because he eats the fish food too, even if we give him is food. No matter what we do to stop him, knock him away, try to scare him away, he doesn\'t care. I cant help but laugh at him.
  • Information