RES Finally ate Feeder Fish!!!

Discussions about turtles.
GlennThiltgen
Level 3
Level 3

I put in two neon small fish and my RES ate one of them in about 5 seconds. The other neon is getting away at every attempt by my RES. I\'m glad he finally ate a fish, something besides pellets.
shai631
Level 3
Level 3

Hi,
my turtles aren\'t eating the goldfish either. I put in about a dozen fish a month ago, and they ate 10 of them within a few days, there are still 2 left, and the turtles don\'t seem to have any interest in eating them. Should I try putting in other types of fish?
shai631
GlennThiltgen
Level 3
Level 3

thats what I would do, they need to be smaller than the turtle. Mine didn\'t seem to even bother the gold fish.
StephanieW31
Level 2
Level 2

I still have three rosies in my tank...but they do eat any leftover food in the tank so I am not worried about them being in there. If you are looking for food items besides pellets, try bloodworms, snails, dried shrimp. I watched one of my turtles eat snails...very cool!! I bought a treat for them called ReptoMin Suprema..has krill and beta carotene, calcium....but they are big pellets. I have to break them into little pieces for my RES. Mine haven\'t showed an interest in veggies yet...but I will keep trying.
mafianick
Level 1
Level 1

its exciting when they finnaly catch the fish!! Me and my gf were rooting for our turtle to catch the goldfish. He chases them forever sometimes, but he always seems to manage to get one, or five :)
Wu-Gwei
Level 3
Level 3

Oh, they\'ll eat the feeder fish when they get to 1-2 years old. When they do it, it\'s a show, baby! I love watching them stalk the fish with their necks extended. Oohh, so exciting! Making y\'all wish your turtles can hunt?!? Ha ha ha.

Wait until they get older and they\'ll go after the fish. If they are interested, but just can\'t catch them, you can cut off the tail or whack the fish to stun it. This will give the turts an upper hand.

Youc an also feed crickets, worms and other live insects. Mmmmm. They like that too!

Cheers,
JJ
Grifter
Level 3
Level 3

all but one of my turtles are eating fish (guppies). the other one tries it but it swims away and he gives up
GlennThiltgen
Level 3
Level 3

I have noticed that if you just put the fish in their you will notice that the turtles nibble at them a little bit every now and then. Then all of a sudden one comes up missing.
lulumac1
Level 3
Level 3

The strangest thing with mine is that when I put feeder fish in they eat all of them in about 30 minutes (thats about 15 fish). If they miss 1 or 2, then they won\'t eat them. As long as they can survuve for about a week, then they will stay alive. My turtles lose interest. I have a goldfish that we got about 4 or 5 months ago. He was about the size of a small feeder fish, less than half an inch. Now hes about 3 or 4 inches long, and fat as can be. My boyfriend said if he gets any bigger, he\'s going to start fishing in our tank. LOL
  • Information