My Red Eared Slider

Discussions about turtles.
Carolina

I have a red eared slider and I was wondering how much water I have to put inside the tank and how many pellets I should feed him. Also if i get the same type of turtle but younger will that affect them in any way? Thanks for all of your help.
StephanieW31
Level 2
Level 2

I have small ones and they only have a few inches of water...I have read to put enough water so that the turtle can rest his feet on the bottom and still be able to poke his head out of the water...but at pet stores, there seems to be deeper water than that. I give mine a few pellets at a time, usually about 5 each, plus some carrot pieces, or some dried shrimp. Like I said they are small RES...but they seem to be doing ok with the diet and the amounts I feed them.
lulumac1
Level 3
Level 3

I have a RES and he is in a 30 gallon accuarium. He is about 3 1/2 inches, and we have about 15 or so gallons of water in the tank. We have a basking area for him as well. I hear a lot of people say that they only have a few inches of water, but I dont think that is enough. All the books I have looked at show them having plenty of water to swim in , with only enough dry land that they can fit on to bask. My turtle cannot touch the bottom, but he\'s doing fine, and he looks at home in the water.

If you get another turtle you should definetly get enough water and basking area for the both of them. I also read that if you do get another turtle you should introduce him slowly into the aquarium. Especially depending on the age and the amount of time you\'ve had him by himself.

Also I feed my turtle twice a day an amount about the size of his head, pellets, shrimp, plus occasional carrots. He\'s actually on a diet now because hes a little overweight, we fell victim to his begging for food when we first got him. Don\'t be fooled like I was, they know what they\'re doing. LOL.
l8or g8or

It is a well known fact that turtles lie! Iceberg lettuce has no nutritional value, therefore it cannot make turtles fat. You can give your turtle a bit of lettuce everyday and he will think it\'s wonderful!
lulumac1
Level 3
Level 3

Thats a good idea, I forgot it has no nutritional value. I\'ve fed him lettuce before, so I know he\'ll like it. Thanks
shai631
Level 3
Level 3

Hi!
I think that getting a younger turtle depends on whether your turtle is aggressive or not. It\'s not good to get a turtle that is a lot smaller than the one you already have because turtles tend to see anything smaller than them as food. I wanted to buy some newts & frogs to put in my aquarium, but the pet store owner told me that the turtles (especially younger ones like mine) will eat them b/c they are carnivorous when they are young.
Good luck with your turtles. :D
  • Information