Happy turtles!!!

Discussions about turtles.
StephanieW31
Level 2
Level 2

They got their upgrade tank set up yesterday...the love it!! I found a great flat rock that fit in the tank and it makes a perfect basking spot!! Now it seems they bask more than they were. They are getting used to me I think, at least when I toss in their pellets!! I tried feeding them carrots, but didn\'t realize they sink!! I sure hope they found them. I added more polished river rocks on the bottom. They also race to see who gets to the dried shrimp....that is funny to watch!

Hi, I have just read your note and wonder where you get your food other than pet stores. I have 4 little red ear sliders, and don\'t know a whole lot about them, like what extra stuff to feed, etc. Do they like to be out of the water for awhile each day? Tell me lots of info, or direct me to a good spot to find all this out.. Thanks, Jeany
human177
Level 3
Level 3

Turtles like to bask, though they can stay in the water for two weeks without basking. It could also be something with the lights, turtles won\'t go out and bask much without a good warm light shining upon them. If this also got improved when you upgraded your tank, this could be the reason (in this case, they may lose some shell skin, don\'t worry about it).
As for the food, I have this ingenious method for sinking food, I made a stone henge! Just but two rocks next to eachother, place a flat rock on top of the two and you have a dinner table to drop carrots and stuff on.
As for a good site, look around, this is probably the best there is about RES!
StephanieW31
Level 2
Level 2

Hi Jeany

I get most of my food from PetSmart actually. The one by my house stocks a lot of turtle food brands, but they don\'t sell RES...odd. Right now I feed them the ReptoMin baby pellets, ReptoMin Suprema and Hikari turtle sticks. Mine as small so I have to break the pellets in half. They also love dried brine shrimp. Frozen bloodworms are good too...I get those at the frozen fish food section at PetSmart. If the pellets are too big for them, I notice the chomp down on them until it breaks up completely in the water messing it up. So I make sure the pieces are small enough for them. Try a good variety of foods....they are more carnivorous as babies, but will eat some carrots, or small pieces of romaine lettuce.
  • Information