Playing god and deciding the turtles sex?

Here you can direct all your questions about turtle breeding and what to do about those eggs you found that your turtle laid.
oakenfold
Level 2
Level 2

I bumped into this site on accident, http://gordasturtletank.homestead.com/home.html , (which is another awesome turtle site and an alternative to www.allturtles.com for info and such if you can\'t find it here) and read of the post on turtle eggs:

\"When a turtle lays eggs they roll somewhat. Eggs are attached by capillary vessels that can tear. They need to be kept warm and moist but not wet. The temp should not be above 90. Eggs incubated over 90 degrees F can may result in deformed or dead hatchlings. 86 degrees F will produce a mix of males and females. 70 - 85 will produce all males and 86-90 will give you all females. You can make your own incubator using a styrofoam cooler, vermiculite, a wire rack placed half way up from bottom of cooler, a few inches above the water, an aquarium heater with a thermostat, 2 thermometers (1 for H2O, 1 for air) and a rubbermaid container (8x8 or so with holes drilled in it). Put vermiculite (you can get that at a garden center) in Rubbermaid (or other suitable)container. Spray eggs with dechlorinated H2O as needed to keep them from drying out. I think they need to incubate for about 90 days. \"

Pretty interesting.
shai631
Level 3
Level 3

It is interesting, but I\'d like to know whether or not it\'s true. Are there any breeders out there to verify this???
:P
Willie
Level 3
Level 3

Yuep! All true!
Willie
lulumac1
Level 3
Level 3

I was looking around on the internet, and there are several sites that discuss this. Its the temperature in the first trimaster that determines the sex. I never knew that before either. All you have to type on a search is \"temperature dependent sex determination\". You\'ll find a bunch of stuff. It is interesting!
  • Information