Help! I\'m a beginner.

Discussions about turtles.
emmyjoy13
Level 1
Level 1

Well, thats pretty much all I can think of. I hope you can help! Thanks!
Last edited by emmyjoy13 on Fri Aug 09, 2002 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
goggles
Level 1
Level 1

you need water, a COMPLETELY dry basking area, a UVB bulb, a heat lamp, a submerible aquarium heater, and you should also have a filter.

the best kind of food is variety. I use pellets as a staple food but i also mix in some live food or frozen food. Feed mostly protein when they are young, and switch their diet over to more vegetarian as they get older.

I like to use substrate they they can not fit in their mouths. large aquarium gravel works good for me, just make sure to clean it regularly.

the one thing i learned that is more important than anything else to keep the water very clean. They are very messy animals, so you need to keep up with a regular cleaning schedule.
l8or g8or

I have learned 2 things since having Joe Mama.

1. Turtles lie. They tell you they haven\'t been fed and are starving to death.

2. The best substrate is nothing at all. I put aquarium background on the outside bottom of Joe\'s tank so it \"appears\" to have something on the bottom. Flip the tank over, and apply a thin layer of Vaseline to the entire bottom, then lay the backing on and rub it down with a credit card to get all the air bubbles out. This method works much better than tape.
StephanieW31
Level 2
Level 2

I am a beginner too!! I just got two RES. I love them!! I have a 10 gallon set up, with a UVB light (ReptiSun) a heat bulb, rocks, large gravel and slates to make ramps and caves, plus some low plants that they hide in and lie on top of. From everything I read, they don\'t need deep deep water (I have about 3 inches in my tank). I have a small section blocked off from the water and filled it with gravel. Its dry and makes a good basking spot for them. I have a Pro Aquatic submersible filter. Works real good. Since I am still a total newbie...I can tell you that when you get these little guys home, let them settle in. Everytime I went passed the tank yesterday they freaked, swimming frantically and hid behind some rocks!! I was told that this is normal, that they are stressed and they will calm down in a few days. I sure hope so hahaha. Best of luck with your new RES!!!
  • Information