Burn their tails?

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
shai631
Level 3
Level 3

Hi everyone!
I was just wondering...all of my relatives and friends keep telling me that if a turtle bites you, it won\'t let go until you burn its tail off...is this true?

I\'m just wondering b/c my uncle has been coming by our apt. frequently lately, sometimes I\'m not even there. I caught him poking at my turtles with his finger in the water the other day and I\'ve noticed that my turtles have been acting a little more aggressively lately.

I pointed to the larger one (from outside the tank), and he tried to bite my finger through the glass (he/she\'s never done that before).

I would hate to think that you have to do something as violent as burn a poor creature\'s tail to get them to stop biting you. Although I have always been kind to my turtles, I\'m afraid that my stupid uncle\'s provoation may wind up with me getting my finger bitten when I put food in their tank. Please let me know...
Thanks,
shai631
l8or g8or

I\'m sorry, but that is just ignorance. You need to stop him from doing this to your poor turtle. You as his owner needs to step in and protect him.... I would hope I am not the only one who feels this way.
Debi S.
Level 2
Level 2

Cruelty !!! He is antagonizing them. Would you let him do this to your child ? This is how nice animals are turned into aggressive ones. It is all in how they are treated.
I understand though -- I have some odd family members. I am NOT superstitous or believe in old \" wives \" tales. I do not allow it to be taught to my children or practiced in my home !!! My animals - every last one of them are treated with respect and love. If you want a mean turtle let him continue this. But if you want a friend for the remainder of his life - the turtles - then you need to protect him.
shai631
Level 3
Level 3

I don\'t \"let\" him do this, I just caught him doing it the other day. Usuallly he just feeds them and watches them play with the fish. I told him to knock it off, b/c if a turtle bites him, I\'m not burning off their tail to get it them release their bite on him.
I\'m guessing by the responses, that this was truly just a superstition.
GlennThiltgen
Level 3
Level 3

If it is tryin to bite you constantly it might just be a snapping turtle. Those are pesky lil devils. I wouldn\'t do any buring at all. Thats not good, would you like someone to burn your tail?
  • Information