MIXING THE SEXES?

Discussions about turtles.
lkitsch
Level 1
Level 1

I had 2 males and have just added a female to a 100 gal tank. I know I should of thought of this before getting the female, but she was so beautiful---assuming they breed, how do I handle the following:

I do not want offspring. I have always assumed that turtles need dry land they can dig into, such as a sandy beach or mud bank, to lay eggs. Since I have a wood basking platform as the only dry land, will she lay the eggs in the water? Will she bury them in the gravel at the tank bottom? Will they hatch underwater?

In short, will that effectively work as birth control, or do I need to watch for eggs and remove them? If so, how often and when?
blejnbaby
Level 3
Level 3

I've never heard of turtle birth control! =o) Yes, most turtles do have their eggs in dry land, but when none is available they will lay them in the water. If they are water born they will usually die within a few hours. You could always watch closely and if she looks as if she constantly wants out of the tank, take her out and put her in a flower pot with soil deep enough so she cannot dig to the bottom. Let her lay her eggs and she will be ready to go back into the tank. If you do this and do not want the offspring contact your vet and explain the situation. Chances are he knows of a turtle breeder and they will collect the eggs from you. Whatever you do make sure the eggs stay in warm climate. The embryos will die if you do not.
OracleX
Level 2
Level 2

I have read that it isn't easy to have them breed. You need to drop the temp of the water and do a few things to make them think that it is time to breed. I have kept my tank at constant temp and my two turtles have never mated.
  • Information