Bask Baby Bask! Please...?

Discussions about turtles.
Lizzwitz

Our little Red Eared Slider Stuart - just an inch and a half - has stopped basking since we expanded his habitat. Within days he was moved from the 6\" by 4\" by 6\" inch plastic container he came in to a 10 gal turtle tank with gravel, rocks, plenty of fun areas to hide, things to climb up, and plastic plants to cling to. He seems active and playful...and plays feed me games with us. He does seem unnaturally attracted to the filter and will cling to it for ages. He lives in a Garden window in the kitchen & hates the fridge being opened and shut nearby & isn\'t crazy about the microwave beep or door. Other than that he seems to have no miseries, likes us, and eats well. We built him a nice ramp out of rock leading to a nice flat ledge of shale also accessible by a favorite clinging plant and by a piece of driftwood. He also has a nice driftwood brige or another piece of shale atop his beloved filter or the top of a mesa like rock with underwater holes he swims through - that he could use just to dry off once in a while. This is our best set up yet. But no dice. He spent alot of time basking when he was in that tiny thing with 1/2 water & 1/2 gravel and incandencant light. Right now he has a 60watt Vita-lite in a large clip lamp and a repto heat bulb in a smaller clip lamp positioned over the basking area. He simply NEVER gets completely out of the water. Could the lamps be wrong? Too close? Too bright? I\'m worried he\'s not getting the nutrients and drying out he needs. Just been at this a few weeks - please advise.
Lizz & Cam
l8or g8or

If you just did this, he could simply be scared. I would give him some time.
noeylani
Level 1
Level 1

It could be that the vita light is too close to his basking spot and it\'s too hot. Get one of those stick on thermometers for your tank to the temperature.

In the meantime, take him out of this take an hour a day and put him in the smaller tank with the light (it should be 85-85) and force him to bask.
noeylani
Level 1
Level 1

oops 80-85
Lizzwitz

noeylani wrote:
It could be that the vita light is too close to his basking spot and it\'s too hot. Get one of those stick on thermometers for your tank to the temperature.

In the meantime, take him out of this take an hour a day and put him in the smaller tank with the light (it should be 85-85) and force him to bask.
Thanks! I have one of those tape thermometers, now. Others say he may be scared and give him a little time. I\'m going to try it all. I thin he\'s scraped his shell on a rock. What should I do? i have some cream conditioner but am not at all sure if I should use that or it would make it worse. Any suggestions? Thanks again!
Lizz :>
shai631
Level 3
Level 3

Hey Lizz,
I wanted to tell you that I did the same thing with my baby turtles...I took them from a little 5 gallon tank to a 20 gallon tank a few months ago, and they would not bask for the longest time. After a while though, once they got used to being there, they began to bask again. Well, at least, one did...I have another turtle that has never basked at all.
Hope this helps :)

P.S. If you have any serious questions about your turtles health & this board doesn\'t help you, I think you should contact a veternarian...they don\'t charge you for a phone call!
  • Information