Wandering Red Ear Slider

Post any questions you have about a turtle outdoor setup here. Or if you have a link to your outdoor setup picture we would love to see it.
styles

Greetings. I found a Red Ear Slider on my front lawn about a month ago. I live in the South Texas area and we recently had some massive flooding up north. I\'m figuring that this could have contributed to it\'s sudden appearance. I placed it outside in a secure outdoor environment which consists of sand, plants, and a 30\" x 24\" plastic \"pool\" with an incline (5\" depth max). This \"pool\" is actually a baby bath tub that\'s somewhat easy to clean (I change the water and scrub the tub every three days). The turtle is six to seven inches in lenght. I realize that a Red Ear of this size needs a much larger area to swim in, but my top priority was to give it some form of shelter and comfort. I did not ask to have this turtle but I just couldn\'t let it die. Considering all the traffic, animals, and other dangerous obstacles outside of my home, I\'m surprised it even made it this far. I currently have a box turtle (non-aquatic, low maintanance turtle)and I used to own four baby Red Ear Sliders for quite a few years which I never had any problems with ( I eventually gave them away).
So now to the question: This Red Ear Slider has flakey soft spots on it\'s upper shell. There seems to be holes forming on it\'s sides and slight cracks on it\'s shell. It seems as if the shell wants to fall to pieces. I truly want to save this animal from dying as well as provide it with an efficient outdoor environment if not a good home. I\'m currently feeding it turtle food (green pellets) and I wash it\'s shell as often as possible. Any help that you may provide will be very much appreciated. Thank you for your time.
Live long and prosper,
Styles
xVBBB Girlx
Level 3
Level 3

here maybe this will help

Shell diseases:

Your turtle\'s shell should be hard and solid, except for softshell turtles. You should not be able to push dents or find any soft patches. The most common cause of a soft shell is a lack of calcium or vitamin D3. They can get calcium through their food, and vitamin D3 through sunlight or UVB rays. Be patient, this could take a very long time to heal.

Shell sores or holes in shell:

Remove your turtle immediately from the water and keep it dry. To prevent your turtle from dehydrating, soak them for 30 minutes twice a day. Sponge your turtle off with Betadine or Nolvosan several times a day, especially after soaking them. Keep your turtle warm. Drying out the affected area aids in the healing process. Take your turtle to the vet if the problem persists.

You can prevent this condition with a proper diet and clean water.

7) Repairing your turtle\'s shell:

If this is the first time you have had a turtle\'s shell crack on you, I strongly suggest the help of a veterinarian. Here are the basic steps in repairing the shell.

1. Wash the wound out with an antiseptic.
2. Apply an antibiotic.
3. Close the wound with an epoxy.

Hope that helps and i wish you the best to saving your turtle....
  • Information