Looking to adopt for Christmas

Discussions about turtles.
Winston

Fri Nov 18, 2005 2:30 am

Hello. I am located in eastern Pennsylvania, and I am looking to adopt 2 turtles in time for Christmas (one for me, one for my wife, who has a turtle on her wishlist). I have a few ???s

1)Where is a good place I can adopt or get 2 small/baby turtles from as cheap as possible, and how do I go about it?

2)What is a good type of turtle to get? We'd prefer a turtle that does not get to be too huge, and is fairly easy to maintain/take care of. We've owned hermit crabs for years, so that is our pet history as a couple.

Thank you for any info you can give me!
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

Fri Nov 18, 2005 3:59 am

welcome to the board :)

hmm i guess painted turtles are relatively small and good looking. mud turtles also maintain a small size (3 - 4.5"). for price, these come somehow more expensive than sliders so there's some trade-off u'll have to make. check the classifieds in this msg board u might find something good (if still available). some ppl couldn't keep their turtles and are willing to give them away for free.

so good luck and keep us posted :)
TallysMom
Level 2
Level 2

Fri Nov 18, 2005 7:30 pm

You can also check Craigslist for your area -- www.craigslist.org. Try the Pets classifieds, and the Free and General areas under For Sale.

You can also post a Wanted ad but I don't know how well those work.

I got all my turtles from CL -- two were free and one of those included a (way too small) tank. The two babies also came with tank and accessories, and there was an adoption fee for those.

CL is also a great place for tanks and other equipment that people no longer need. It helps if you have a good active section, though -- here in eastern Massachusetts it's quite busy, but not all areas are.

At this time of year I would be very hesitant to get a turtle shipped. I agree that local adoption is the best choice, trustworthy pet store the next.

The thing about turtles, though, is that if they are healthy, they do grow. Even a small species will get to be 5-6 inches, and, needing 10 gallons per inch of turtle, you will need a 55-gallon tank and powerful filter.

Lots of people recommend you start with the big tank and save on buying the intermediate ones. I think that's good advice, though you may find great deals on the intermediate sizes first.

Good luck and keep us posted on what you do!
martysmom

Wed Nov 23, 2005 10:26 am

You might also think about only getting one turtle. I bought two last year for Christmas and the female ended up getting very aggressive (biting the male and preventing him from basking)..
Just a thought.
contact444
Level 2
Level 2

Wed Nov 23, 2005 10:50 pm

If you decide to get a red ear slider check with local shelters, they usually have an abundance of babies and adults this time of year. This is a good example of a site that offers unwanted turtles:

http://groups.msn.com/TURTLELOVERANCH/a ... imals.msnw

I really feel for these little (and big) guys.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

Fri Nov 25, 2005 3:09 am

yep that's a nice site and u can spend ur money on providing the best setup instead cz the RES's are for free. yeah contact i feel so bad for them too :!: i wish i could adopt a couple of them :?
  • Information