Sand??

Post any questions you have about a turtle indoor setup here. Or if you have a link to your indoor setup picture we would love to see it.
Greg2255288
Level 2
Level 2

Would aquarium sand be a better think to use instead of the small pebbles for a fish tank?? Because it seems that the bottom of my turtle is starting to become a lighter color than it was when i first got him, he is about 2 1/2\" and is eating normal, the top of his shell is a nice dark color.
l8or g8or

I think that sand would be harder to keep clean. I think cleaning the tank would be a bigger chore. If you decide to try it, let us know how it works.
jonicus
Level 1
Level 1

I\'ve found that sand is better overall, especially the calcified sand as my red ear slider eats it and since it\'s 100% calcium its all good! I do agree, however, that the sand is very hard to keep clean. When I do a total tank clean I shovel the sand out into a deep, rectangular, tubberware and just keep running HOT water over it, shaking it a little and using a regular spoon to sort of move it around, get most of the junk to float to the top where I can grab it with the strainer. It\'s expensive stuff (calcified sand) but I hear its the best.

And before you even say it, no the suction cleaner won\'t work! lol! It just gets clogged up with the sand real quick. I use to have gravel down but I kept catching him tryign to eat it and a rock in the belly is the last thing he needed.

Any ideas???
Bradleychris
Level 3
Level 3

I would not use anything in the bottom of the tank. it restricts the flow of the water for the filter and is a pain to clean up. And most of all it is not needed. I have smaller rocks in a part of m tank and when the turtle wants to \"play\" he moves them around, but I wouldn\'t put pebbles, sand or rocks int he entire bottom.

Just my Opinion
  • Information