sick albino hatchling HELP!

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
contact444
Level 2
Level 2

sick albino hatchling HELP!

Post by contact444 » Wed Sep 28, 2005 1:13 pm

OK I just received my albino hatchling that was overnighted. And it was shipped in a box stuffed with newspaper and she was in a plastic cup with a wet paper towel! I am appaled. This seems like a very poor way of shipping an animal- the delivery guy didn't even seem to know he was carrying a live animal so I'm sure she was josteled quite a bit. Anyway- she is not moving around as she should be and she has a goopy eye? Does she need a vet or will getting her warm and letting her bask do the trick?? Please help immediately I don't want anything to happen to the little sweetie. -She is not gasping for air or anything, but is very lathargic?

Dixieee, stray, anyone help me!

STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Post by STRAYKINGFISHER » Wed Sep 28, 2005 2:56 pm

I have read that the turtles are shipped in some kind of jelly type goop, I may be wrong but I believe that that is the case, I will try to find the string and post it. :D

contact444
Level 2
Level 2

Post by contact444 » Wed Sep 28, 2005 3:05 pm

Unfortunately the source I got the turtle from seems very unprofessional. She was shipped in a clear chinese take-out cup with a damp paper towel inside. There was newspaper around that for cushioning, but the cup was turned over during shipping and she was upside down when I opened the box. I have her at home now under a heat lamp, she still is not moving much. She keeps trying to wipe the goop out of her eye, but other than that just sits there. I'm hoping she's just trying to adjust after shipping. She seemed awfully cold when I opened her box up, maybe she just slowed down from the temp drop? I'm trying to keep optomistic about her, I really hope she'll be alright. I definitely did not see any type of goop in the packaging for her comfort. I wish I would have known that's how shw was going to be shipped I would have drove to pick her up! :(

dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

Post by dixieee » Wed Sep 28, 2005 4:40 pm

congrats on ur new baby :D give her some time she might be under a shock now. keep her warm and let her feel safe. i hope she's doing better by now though. good luck and pix plz if u can.. :)

contact444
Level 2
Level 2

Post by contact444 » Wed Sep 28, 2005 6:14 pm

Thanks- I'm not sure how she's doing I had to leave her to go to work :? . I will definitely post some pix, I'm not exactly computer savy so I'm going to have my hubby help me. She definitely is a little sweetie! It's so funny how quickly you can get attached to the little guys. I havn't even had for eight hours and I'm already a worried mommy.

By the way her name is Daphny (named after the yellow daphodile flower).

dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

Post by dixieee » Wed Sep 28, 2005 6:25 pm

i was just gonna ask about her name b4 i reached the end, nice one :)

contact444
Level 2
Level 2

Post by contact444 » Wed Sep 28, 2005 11:51 pm

Well unfortunately after work I came home to find that she had not moved at all from the spot that I left her in. Her eye is now completely swollen shut and she is not eating (although, I would not expect her to eat as she has been through alot), so I am taking her to the vet first thing tomorrow. I'll let you know how it turns out. :? Poor baby, I hope that this can be cleared up without any permanant damage.

dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

Post by dixieee » Thu Sep 29, 2005 2:50 am

oh the poor thing :!: hmm ok try cod liver oil. get one, break it, and rub the liquid gently on its eye with a clean cloth. or u could use tea. let it cool until it reaches tap water degree and again like the previous one, rub it gently with a clean cloth. good luck and keep us posted, hope she gets well soooon :)

deesygirl

Post by deesygirl » Thu Sep 29, 2005 10:47 am

When they are shipped they do suffer a little. How are you warming her? She will be a little dehydrated and should be in her tank of warm water with a nice basking area ready and waiting.

contact444
Level 2
Level 2

Post by contact444 » Thu Sep 29, 2005 7:29 pm

Well I took her to see the vet today. Apparently she got a cut on her eyelid during shipping. She said that it is pretty painful and on such a young turtle can cause some real issues especially if I don't get her eating. She gave me some preventative eye drops. As she is so little she had to use a magnifying glass to even see the cut, but said she didn't think that her eye was cut. We'll just have to wait and see. She said that she is probably to small to force feed so I'm hoping that once she becomes more comfortable she will start to eat. :? Any help on this woul be appreciated. I already tried soaking her hatchling pellets in tuna juice and even offering her the plain tuna, but no luck.

She is in a warm tank with a good basking area, I hope she perks up. The vet didn't seem real convinced that she would make it. :(

How long is too long for her not to be eating? Has anyone had to force feed a hatchling before? I'll really be upset if she doesn't make it.

dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

Post by dixieee » Thu Sep 29, 2005 8:31 pm

i really hope she gets well soon. they can hold for a couple of weeks without food. but keep something in with her just in case she decides to eat when no one's around. maybe it'll help if she sees ur other guys eating. that worked with mine. keep us posted :)

contact444
Level 2
Level 2

Post by contact444 » Thu Sep 29, 2005 8:57 pm

Well my other guys are about 4 inches and she's about the size of a quarter so I have a section of the tank sectioned off for her, that way they don't get curios and take a chomp. But I will keep trying to get her to eat nonetheless. It makes me feel a little better knowing that she can go that long without food, just a little. I'll keep you posted.

contact444
Level 2
Level 2

Post by contact444 » Fri Sep 30, 2005 8:22 pm

Well she looks like she's perked up a little, but still not eating. I found a site that suggests if the turtle is really refusing to eat after a long period of time to "Make a solution of beef blood and turtle vitamins and using a drop dispenser get the drops in between his lips." Is this a good idea? It seems like going to your local butcher and asking for beef blood is a good way to introduce disease. Any thoughts? Maybe I could replace the blood with tuna juice?

dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

Post by dixieee » Sat Oct 01, 2005 9:46 am

this is nasty i wouldn't suggest it :roll: let her feel safe and give her some time. remember that it came injured and it's probably painful so she needs extra time and caring. good luck

contact444
Level 2
Level 2

Post by contact444 » Mon Oct 03, 2005 9:08 pm

Well I got her to eat a little tuna on Saturday. :idea: , but she hasn't eaten anything since then. It almost seems like she can't see the food, like she's feeling around for it? I hope she isn't blind or anything. She still refuses to eat any pellets, even soaked in tuna juice. I'll keep trying thanks for the encouragement.

dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

Post by dixieee » Tue Oct 04, 2005 11:42 am

thumbs up for tuna :lol: if that's the thing she'll eat it's ok to over-do it now (exceptional case) :)

centex
Level 2
Level 2

Post by centex » Thu Oct 06, 2005 1:47 am

Maybe I missed it but.............is this a RES albino? Is it a true albino or one of the "white" bred "albino"? Just curious...is it being kept in water?

John

contact444
Level 2
Level 2

Post by contact444 » Thu Oct 06, 2005 5:49 pm

This is a true albino - red eyes, pink skin, yellowish shell.
It is a res so yes is it in water. She is gorgeous- I'm still working on getting some pics up. :oops: hopefully soon.

centex
Level 2
Level 2

Post by centex » Thu Oct 06, 2005 10:44 pm

great! Can't wait too see the pics!!

John

contact444
Level 2
Level 2

Post by contact444 » Fri Oct 07, 2005 1:51 pm

Well the pics are up in the gallery section if anyone wants to see her. :lol:

She actually jumped into the water this morning after feeding her and took a lap! She's definitely feeling better. :idea:

dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

Post by dixieee » Sat Oct 08, 2005 11:32 am

cool :D i saw the pix, she is lovely :)