HELP! How do you guys clean the tank! (RES)

Discussions about turtles.
human177
Level 3
Level 3

I\'ve seen big 75 gallon tanks in living rooms and I can\'t imagine you guys dragging these fragile glass boxes to the kitchen or bathroom. How do you guys do this? And should I buy a pump to get the water out? I don\'t have a big tank yet, but I\'m about to have one though!
oakenfold
Level 2
Level 2

Well, I personally like the Python Vacuum. It\'s this tubeing that connects to your faucet and you syphon water out of the tank and then refill it afterwards. No need to carry the tank anywhere or buckets of water to refill. You can check it out for yourself at www.petsmart.com. I recommend getting the 50ft one, just to be safe. It\'s a little pricey compared to cheaper models of vacuums, but it\'s worth it. Hope this helps.
Melanie
Level 1
Level 1

HI

I have a 60 gallon and its not too bad cleaning it out. It is time consuming though sometimes if the tank is extremely dirty. To drain the water out I used long tubing ( you can purchase it at a hardware store) to siphon the water out. After thats done I\'d take a green scrubbing pad (dont use on acrylic aquariums!)and it would clean it pretty well..

This worked well because I had my aquarium near my front door..and in my yard I could drag the hose through it to fill the aquarium.

I\'ve rambled enough lol

Mel
goggles
Level 1
Level 1

i\'m a firm believer in the python too. Its actual name is the \"No Spill Clean and Fill.\" I personally have about 400 gallons of fish tanks, and i would be lost without it.
human177
Level 3
Level 3

Melanie wrote:
To drain the water out I used long tubing ( you can purchase it at a hardware store) to siphon the water out.
Mel
But unless you put your hose through your aquarium\'s floor, I don\'t see how you can:
1. Hold out sucking the water in your mouth every month
2. Get the last bits out.
l8or g8or

I use a plain \'ol garden hose that\'s cut to about 4 foot and a 5 gallon bucket. I fill it with water at the sink to and cover both ends with my thumbs and carry it to my tank to start the suction. I used to have a \"No Spill Clean and Fill\" but found the suction was ALOT better with just a plain hose and it gets all the water and gunk out faster.
  • Information