Depressed Turtles

Discussions about turtles.
PooPee

Background: two tiny RES the size of a quarter when we got them 3 months ago. One is now three times the size of the other. The smaller one hasn't grown at all. The larger one- unintentionally (I believe) hits the smaller one during feeding time. Both eat well. The larger one doesn't get out of the water to bask (too heavy?) And the smaller one basks ALL the time (insanely cute b/c he will take turns basking his head then arms then feet). He pretty much hardly ever spends time in the water when the lamp is on. Sometimes he just stays out and sleeps behind a rock- and lately he's been slumped over the pump of the filter (above water) looking really depressed. Not in any of his usual perky basking poses. Thoughts? Why doesn't the big one like getting out of the water and why does the little one stay out and pretty much either sleeps or looks depressed?
blejnbaby
Level 3
Level 3

Most RES like to stay in the water. Just depends on their personality. Please take your little one to the vet...I'm not sure what is wrong, but it isn't depression. Try feeding them seperatly for now. The reason being they maybe eating well, but the little one may not be recieving enough nutrients. The reason I'm asking you to take him to the vet is because when my little one Jericho died he was doing the slumping over the filter. He had pneumonia and I had no clue until I got him to the vet. By then it was a little late. Hope this helps.
poohbear
Level 2
Level 2

Poor turtle! Maybe it's me but I thought it was illeigal to sell turtles under 3in. Just a thought.
  • Information