Turtle Clean?

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
shai631
Level 3
Level 3

Hello,
I was wondering if any of you have any experience using a product called Turtle Clean (Biological Reduction of Turtle Waste) by BioCARE?

I am wondering if it is harmful to the turtles, and if it is worth the money to buy it b/c it doesn\'t really seem to do anything...

Thank you,
Shai631
oakenfold
Level 2
Level 2

I\'ve actually bought it and it states that it\'s supposed to keep the tank clean, but it didn\'t seem to work for me. I thought maybe I didn\'t add enough to the tank, so I added more and the tank didn\'t seem any cleaner to me. Used it for a whole month with no results. Don\'t waste your time and money, just return it, it sucks.
Melanie
Level 1
Level 1

Its not harmful for turtles...I\'ve noticed that it makes the smell of the water go away for a while but doesn\'t have lasting affects... :(
shai631
Level 3
Level 3

Thanks for all of your responses, it\'s good to know that I\'m not the only one having trouble with it.
:)
spraggsbraydon2
Level 3
Level 3

I had it to and it SUCKS!!!!!!!!
Debi S.
Level 2
Level 2

If used properly -- I think it works great !!!!!!!!!!!!

About the only thing I disagree with you on Braydon :-)
MalayanGirl
Level 2
Level 2

I\'ve noticed that it works great but smells just as bad as poop when you first put it in.
Heather
Level 3
Level 3

I told him b4 if you use it correctly it does work!!! He just doesn\'t like the stuff...I honestly think it works great!!!!
l8or g8or

I use it and think it works pretty good, but then I like my filter too, so I don\'t really know which one is doing the good job. Since it does claim to keep the tank cleaner, I check the ammonia, and when I see that it is rising, I clean the tank whether it looks like it needs it or not.
shai631
Level 3
Level 3

Hi everyone!
Thanks for all of your discussion, it has been very helpful. I personally don\'t see any benefit to the BioCare solution, but continue to use it \"just in case\".

I was wondering, however, what kind of an effect it will have on Goldfish. I just bought 10 tiny goldfish (the biggest is about 1 inch long) and I have put them in with the turtles...I don\'t want them to die off quickly. Do you think that the BioCare has any adverse effects on fish?

Thank you.
Shai631
ponyboy
Level 1
Level 1

hi every one
I have two res\'s in a 20 gallon tank with a good filter. I have tried turtle clean for a month, and it doesn\'t work!
Every week I drain out the tank and clean every thing.
roy
Ibanezkid
Level 3
Level 3

I have used it a few times but I don\'t know if it works but I know that my turtles love to nibble on it!
oakenfold
Level 2
Level 2

How can your turtles nibble on it? Isn\'t it liquid?
Sparkels580
Level 1
Level 1

I dont think turtle clean will harm the fish. But dont worry if the turtel clean dosnt the turtles will.
MishFish
Level 3
Level 3

Hey,
don\'t worry, I\'ve had goldfish and nothing has went wrong with them in there. They can live through alot worse then turtle clean.
As for turtle clean, you have to add it every week to keep it working. It\'s supposed to help produce more of a natural clean setting for your turtle....but nothing works better then scrubbing your tank clean!!
l8or g8or

Turtle Clean when used correctly works very well at what it claims to do. It can be costly as it needs to be used every 7 days, and since it takes 2 capfuls for every 10 gallons. It states on the bottle that it \"reduces odors\" which it does, and \"solubilizes organic waste\" - you will notice when it is used properly, all the turtle \"gunk\" is broken down a lot more and goes through the filter easier. I was without it for a month, and could tell the difference when cleaning out my filter. But.... just because you use this product, you still should do a partial water change every week - who wants to swim in their toilet? I know I don\'t, so I don\'t make my turtles either....
Ibanezkid
Level 3
Level 3

who wants to swim in their toilet? I know I don\'t, so I don\'t make my turtles either....

I agree with this quote. It\'s very important to change the water and I too use thrtle clean and it works great.
Bradleychris
Level 3
Level 3

I don\'t use any of that bio-fecies and my tank is very clean. I use a duetto 50 filter( and its junk) and change the water regularly and have no problems. The water smells?? Then change it. Never do I have a foul smell or unclear water. Take the time to change the water or buy a filter that is made for a much larger tank than you have. Just my opinion. Turtle Clean sounds like garbage to me. We should send this message board to them
  • Information