Can i feed RES turtles...

Discussions about turtles.
turtleluver43
Level 1
Level 1

My turtles are babies, they are supposed to be carnivorious, and im out of tuna. Can i feed them little bits of ham from the fridge? Its already been cooked. At least thats what it says on the bag. They seem to like it, but is it healthy?
Melanie
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there,

I don\'t think you should feed them ham...for one thing its full of sodium and nitrates...
Debi S.
Level 2
Level 2

Have you been feeding them turtle pellets ? Turtle food you buy at the pet store or just tuna ?? They need more than that. If you have chicken you can boil that and give it to them -- they really like it. Just don\'t add any seasoning.
shai631
Level 3
Level 3

Why can\'t you season the chicken before feeding it to the turtles? I usually wait until the end of the week when I am about to clean their tank & then I drop in the chicken...They really love the chicken bits, but it leaves the tank really oily so I don\'t do it too often.
:)
turtlez_rule
Level 1
Level 1

well, i have a baby turtle too! She\'s about 3 years old I think, well that\'s how long I have had her. I feed her tutrtle pellets from the pet store. Also there are a lot of food you can buy for your turtles if you go to the right pet shop. I go to P J \'s pet central or somethin. And there are all kinds of food for turtles! Check it out and I don\'t like feeding my turtle meat so I just feed them turtle food.
Debi S.
Level 2
Level 2

Why not season the chicken ? Not sure exactly but I read not to. I guess some seasonings could make them sick. I won\'t take the chance of trying to figure out what they could have.
shai631
Level 3
Level 3

Thank you for your reply Debi S.
I have bought them some goldfish to snack on instead. I figure that\'s a good enough alternative to pellets...
human177
Level 3
Level 3

I recently gave him swordfish!! He really liked that!
I usually give him bloodworms, shrimps and vitamin pellets.
StephanieW31
Level 2
Level 2

I have been using the Reptomin baby pellets....they seem to like them, and they have eaten rosies (feeder fish). I would think feeding them chicken with seasonings would harm their digestion. They don\'t eat salt, pepper, and other seasonings like that in the wild....plain would be much better.
  • Information