broccoli

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
MalayanGirl
Level 2
Level 2

I was fishing out dirt from my turtle\'s tank with one of those green nets when I noticed her trying to nibble at the net. I gave her endive and she ate it, but I was wondering if I could give her broccoli heads, since she seems to be attracted to darker greens. Also, how do I know how much food to feed her at once? I gave her some pieces of strawberry and a tiny bit of endive, but thats all she really ate before she started going after the net. And every book has a different story about types of food.

Need help.
meghan
spraggsbraydon2
Level 3
Level 3

yes,that is very healthy for them,the darker the green the better.
MalayanGirl
Level 2
Level 2

do you know how I can get vitamin supplements for aquatic turtles? All the supplements I see on the internet and in the pet stores are powder, which some say will alter the taste of the water.
spraggsbraydon2
Level 3
Level 3

I use a powder supplement.
MalayanGirl
Level 2
Level 2

Just found out that broccoli is unhealthy for turtles because they have iodized acid in them. She didn\'t like it anyway.
l8or g8or

MalayanGirl - I didn\'t know that about broccoli, where did you read that? also, about the vitamens, if it\'s a powder, it would just wash off in the water right?
MalayanGirl
Level 2
Level 2

My vet told me that broccoli has some type of acid that\'s harmful to turtles.
Also, he told me that the powder ( for aquatics/semi-aquatics ) is not a good idea around water, because it will alter the taste and appearance of the water, making it unpleasant for turtles.
oakenfold
Level 2
Level 2

if you can\'t use the powder supplement, what else can you give the turtles that has calcium?
MalayanGirl
Level 2
Level 2

I dunno. There is such a thing called a calium block that you just drop into the water, but I don\'t tknow where or how to get one. I\'ve tried cuttlebone, which she nibbles at. There is a website that lists all the foods from best C:P ratio to worst. Its for all turtles, not just boxies.

http://boxturtlesite.org/min.html
oakenfold
Level 2
Level 2

aren\'t cuttle bones for birds?
  • Information