Any RES breeding info?

Here you can direct all your questions about turtle breeding and what to do about those eggs you found that your turtle laid.

I wanted more information about breeding a pair of red ear sliders. We have had the female for about 5 years and the male for about 3-4 months. He is about 4 inches long and she is about 7 inches long. What is involved in breeding them and how.

Joy
spraggsbraydon2
Level 3
Level 3

email me so we can go into this matter further. [email protected]
spraggsbraydon2
Level 3
Level 3

Well,here it goes.your turtle should mate during the spring,just after hibernation season.they will mate and then the gravid female will hold the eggs for 2-3 months.after the mating,seperate the turtles.in the females anclosure,put a beach of soil,7-10 inches deep.keep it damp,NOT wet,for the eggs to be layed.then,when the eggs are layed,mark the tops with x\'s,and place the eggs in a hova bator incubator,with 7-10 inches damp vermiculite.cover the eggs 3/4 high and set temp. to 90 degrees at 95-100% humidity.your instruction manual will cover this.after 65-80 days,the eggs will hatch,between 2 and 20 offspring will emerge.they should be fed only after there egg tooth is gone,a carnivorous diet,covered on this site.they should be placed in a tank of 10 gallons for every three hatchlings.they may be better out in a pond but be sure to have plenty of hiding places out there,and a fence and cover overtop.be sure to have a basking spot and feeder guppies in the enclosure,whatever it may be.if you need more info,email me at the address above.

www.geocities.com/redslidetank
turtlecrazed
Level 3
Level 3

Do you really need to breed them? If they are just personal pets i\'d strongly advise against this. What will you do with the babies? Have you found buyers before hand? Are you aware that most turtle rescues are bombarded with unwanted RES, myself included? Even reputable established breeders don\'t demand high prices for RES because they are soooooo abundant. I\'d give this a second thought. It\'s alot of work, and just think of how many little mouths to feed and clean up after if you don\'t sell them or give them all away.......(that\'s alot of turtle poop)
lulumac1
Level 3
Level 3

Do you know how old your male is? Are you sure he is even sexually mature yet?
  • Information