Turtles just got a new home...

Discussions about turtles.
OracleX
Level 2
Level 2

My two almost 3 year old turtles finally have got their new home. They were in a 33 long tank and was finding that they were able to climb out no matter how I set up their basking spot. The tank was getting too narrow for their size. So in order to keep them in the tank I had to put up a cardboard guard around the one side of the tank and drop the water level a bit. Now my turtles love to swim. With the water level lower they seem to be less active. They were able to stand on their back legs and have their heads easily out of the water. So after a bit of saving we decided to get them a new home.

Their new home is a 65 long tank that is much wider and long and taller. With this tank I am able to keep the water level about 2" to 3" from the top of the tank and not worry about them jumping out. Now there is about 2x their hight in water and they are very happy in their new home. Now the 33 tank is skid row for thier food.

If you can afford it, keep your tank for your tutles larger rather than smaller. This is probably the 2nd last tank for them. I am sure that they could live fine in this tank when fully grown but they would again have very little swimming room. I have seen too many adult turtles almost become land turtles because tank required would be too big or expensive to the owners. If you can, go big for your turtles :)
Tinkerbell
Level 3
Level 3

OracleX wrote:
If you can afford it, keep your tank for your tutles larger rather than smaller. This is probably the 2nd last tank for them. I am sure that they could live fine in this tank when fully grown but they would again have very little swimming room. I have seen too many adult turtles almost become land turtles because tank required would be too big or expensive to the owners. If you can, go big for your turtles :)
I agree!!:)
  • Information