tentacle like objects on turtles shell

Discussions about turtles.
boslillady

i recently caught a snapping turtle while fishing.My children wanted to keep it so i bought it home. I ahve the turtle in a 5 gallon bucket set up like i read on a site about snapping turtles.while cleaning his cage tonight i noticed these little worm like objects coming out of his shell from the top and bottom they are like 25 to 30 of them what the heck are they and is there any reason to be alarmed. please help me and let me know what to do?thank you for your time.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

welcome to the board :)

if u want an advice then release it back..wild caught turtles aren't good for pets especially if they show early signs of anything wrong (like the worms in urs)..snappers are dangerous too and u have children so it's not very advisable..if ur children want a pet turtle and u are ready to care for one then get them a slider from a good pet shop..it'll be better for everyone :)
boslillady

thank you i had suggested to my husband that we should set it free.i have enough for now caring for my husband,7 kids,3 dogs and a albino rat snake(that my brother dropped off on me yuck!).and i can't take the risk of one of my children getting hurt or even sick so tricky is back to the river today and god willing he will survive.
VersteckterGeist
Level 3
Level 3

the worm type things sound like some sort of parasite.. i don't think it's wise to keep a snapping turtle around children though.. espeically if they're young..

they might stick their fingers in the bucket.. and then there they go.. :(

i'd have to go wtih dixiee and release the turtle back into the wild

otherwise, take it to the vet asap.. because parasites aren't that great..
VersteckterGeist
Level 3
Level 3

boslillady wrote:thank you i had suggested to my husband that we should set it free.i have enough for now caring for my husband,7 kids,3 dogs and a albino rat snake(that my brother dropped off on me yuck!).and i can't take the risk of one of my children getting hurt or even sick so tricky is back to the river today and god willing he will survive.
woah.. sounds like you've got your hands filled already.. :(
boslillady

i took and released the turtle today back in the river i caught him in.i will be going to the pet store to find a good turtle for my children thanks for all of the replys.
yaya
Level 4
Level 4

i don't want to interfere in ur personnal business but maybe u should look at those fact before buying a turtle...
LONG COMMITMENT: turtle can live for a very long time(some res live up to 60 years old in captivity) and aren't really easy pet to care of...
EXPENSE: since turtle can be really big(female res reach between 14 to 16 inch length shell) and need a minimum space of 10 gallon for every inch of shell(length) u will eventually need between a 90 to a 120 Gallon fishtank...and that's without the cost of uvb light,heater and good filtration(which required change of media quite often)to keep ur turtle healthy...and let's not forget the vet bill(which u might need at some point)
CARE: turtle need some balance diet and a good maintenance of their enclosure(which mean regular change of water,cleaning ect..)

i don't want to discourage u to buy a turtle i just want to make sure u know in what u getting into(since u seem having a quite busy life :) )
check out the turtle fact sheet in the turtle newbie section of this site(the link is at the top of the page)...
and btw i'm agree with the fact that u brought back that snapper to the wild...they can reach up to 19inch :lol:
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

OK good decision :) turtles are cute and fun to watch so it's not that bad yaya :wink: j/k i know what u mean but some of the older children can help in taking care of it if they are old enough to do so :) look for easy turtles like sliders..or if u want something easier, go for a land turtle..i bet it doesn't need all the cleaning and caring

good luck and keep us posted :)
  • Information