Turtle bites the hand that feeds it!

Discussions about turtles.
TurtleMama
Level 2
Level 2

When my turtles were small, I started to feed them by hand. They were so cute! Well, two years later they are agressive when I come with food. I try to be careful but they sometimes get a hold of my finger instead of the offered food. This morning I was a afraid I was going to loose a chunk of my finger - he wouldn't let go. If this happens in the future, I do I get them to release my finger - it really hurts! How do I get them to search for food I drop in instead of taking it from my hand? Is it possible that I am not feeding them enough? I use the 'size of their head' rule but maybe I'm skimping and they are really hungry.
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

For the sake of your fingers I would say that you should leave the food floating in the water (I am assuming they are RES) until they decide to get the food themselves, if they are hungry enough they will get it themselves, it is kinda like when the phone rings and you don't want to get up to get it, you say to yourself "If it was important enough they'll call back", same goes for the turtles, "If they're hungry enough, they will eat it" :lol:
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

lol good metaphor stray :lol:

i hand-feed my turtles and they sometimes bite my fingers..when they do it, they're not trying to be agressive it's only that turtles are not very smart to differentiate between food and the thing that offers it..they bite each other too so it's normal..u can put the food directly in front of them so they can see it..try to teach them to get it from the same place everytime like the basking area..put the food in there and carry them up so they know where it is and by time they'll link it to food

good luck :)
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

lol good metaphor stray
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

anytime :lol:
VersteckterGeist
Level 3
Level 3

lol that's horrible.. reminds me of the NIN song out right now.. 'hand that feeds' lol. i'd just stop feeding them by hand, and i'm sure they don't mean to eat you fingers..

my cousin's bearded dragon bit onto my index finger once.. and wouldn't let go for two hours. i didn't know how to get it off.. and neither did they.. so i just sat on the couch watching tv with a lizard on my finger... when it finally did release (on a commerical) it hurt a lot more lol.. but at least the lizard wasn't harmed.. that was my main concern. they'll release eventually when they get bored.

i'm glad my little turds aren't at that point yet.. they're scared of everything.. even feeder fish...
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

2 hours? LOL this is what i call patience..'hand that feeds' hmm they have a saying in here about backstabbers "they bite the hand that is given to them" (as for help)..works for those little devils :o
  • Information