shell scrape...?

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
Heloise

Hi, I could use some help. When I bought my western painted turtle a few months ago, he had a scrape on his shell. It was wasn't as strong as the rest of his shell, but it wasn't squishy or even soft. It never oozed, he eats/basks just fine, and I've kind of been hoping it would grow back. Today he was basking and I noticed that it seemed to be a little whiter than usual, and there seemed to be water under the surface of the scrape, but not pus and it's not oozy or anything. Help! This really freaks me out. It's still not really soft, and I'm not sure what to do. Is this a big deal, or would some Neosporin or something help him?

I really appreciate your help. So does my turtle.
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Sounds like he is shedding a scute, don't pull on it, just make sure that puss doesn't develop.
Heloise

Really? Could you describe this in a little more detail--or maybe direct me to a photograph of what this looks like? I just want to make sure. Thanks for the advice!
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Well, if you have ever seen a fish scale, then that is more or less what the scute looks like, sometimes the scute will get air underneath and it will look strange, sometimes it will get either a goldish color or a silvery color to it. Just keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn't develop into something worse.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

yep i agree :)

keep us posted
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

No Neosporin in this case (it's oily and you don't want to trap whatever's underneath). Make sure your turtle has ample opportunity to basking under correct lighting. If the scute needs to shed, it will help it along.
  • Information