Algea Eaters

Discussions about turtles.
coboot
Level 1
Level 1

Are Algea Eaters ok with turtles? I was thinking of getting one to help with the tank.

Also do frogs and turtles get along? Do turtles get lonly? I was thinking of a frog or a second turtle for Tinny.

Thanks Colleen
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

1. Algae eaters are fine with turtles, considering they don't get eaten :evil: :evil: :lol:

2. No, dogs and turtles really don't get along, there have been many turtles that have been mangled by dogs.

3. I would have to say no about the frogs, some frogs have toxins in their skin and would hurt the turtle. If reptileman comes around, he can give you more info on the frog situation.
VersteckterGeist
Level 3
Level 3

i don't know about the whole frog situation...

frogs are amphibians, and their skin is a lot more porous then reptiles.. they (frogs) also 'breathe' out of their skin to an extent.. turtles give off toxic chemicals in their urine and that might hurt the frog..

straykingfisher was right about the frogs giving off chemicals too..

i have no idea if these two species can mix in such a limited environment (a tank is a LOT smaller then the huge ponds where these creatures naturally exist) since the water can't dilute their toxins, and the water might grow stagnant with them.. (there is usually not a current to push the 'contaminated' water in aquariums)

plus.. if your turtles are really big, they might tear the smaller frogs apart.. i had a friend who's turtles did that...
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

i saw frogs and turtles together in the petshop yesterday..they looked happy to me..and yeah they also learn things from each other..the frogs were piling on turtle piles and they were all basking..it was so funny :lol:
  • Information