FAT TURTLES?

Discussions about turtles.
Vuki
Level 1
Level 1

I've heard alot of stories about obesity in turtles, makes them live shorter...
How do I tell if my turtle is fat and what to do, I feed mine reptomin, some occasional water and ordinary lettuce, strawberries(they love 'em) :D ,apples...
VersteckterGeist
Level 3
Level 3

you know what.. that's a pretty good question. i think one of my turtles may be fat.. but i'm not sure. i'd like to know myself..
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

They would probably look something like this:
yaya
Level 4
Level 4

that pic show a turtle who's more then fat!! at that stage i call it obese!!!
a good way to see if ur turtle is too fat is when then can't completly hide in their shell..
Vuki
Level 1
Level 1

lol my turts seem to be pretty fit then
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

didn't they notice there's something wrong with it??!

anyways, flip ur turtle and check the feet part..if u see flesh coming out (always not only when exhaling) then this is a fat turtle and needs to get some diet and exercise..watch out cz they get fat easily..i put my turtles on a diet for a couple of days every month even if they don't get overweight..healthy feeling cz i do the same 8)
VersteckterGeist
Level 3
Level 3

that poor turtle.. i wonder if it can even move around with all that excess bulk.. :(

i think one of my hatchlings were overweight.. but we bought them a turtle dock, and raised the waterlevel.. now it's better. she just needed more room to swim.. and a place to push her siblings off.. lol.
kelleytidwell
Level 3
Level 3

Well then on an alternitave subject, how do you know there too skinny my baby looks to skinny.

K~
Robin_Luver13

i think ur baby looks fine, its just small, because its a baby.

my turtle Robin isnt obese, but he eats a lot. im worried he might get fat if im not real careful. does anyone know what i can do to help??? hes still growing a little, and i heard that obesity can cause shell deformities
:?:
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

I have my turtles on a Monday-Wednesday-Friday- and some on Sunday, they still beg when I come around to check on them but you need to ignore them on the days that they don't eat. I put some Romaine lettuce in the tank incase they want an inbetween meal, plus they have the minnows that they don't touch. :lol:
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

they never stop begging so don't over-feed him bcz he begs a lot or is ready to eat whatever offered to him..take him out for exercise or put him in the bathtub where he can swim in a larger place..in that way u'll be on the safe side and he'll burn the extras he's getting (if any) :)
  • Information