Water Level ¿?

Post any questions you have about an aquatic turtle tank setup here. Or if you have a picture of your aquatic turtle tank setup picture, we would love to see it.
bluecko
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, im building a indoor-setup for 2 young RES, and I would like to know if there is a maximun amount of water an aquarium can have? is it ok if I fill it around 90% and the put the basking spot? can the RES drown if there is too much water?
I appreciate your anwers, thanks
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

I don't know much about ponds but RES are very good swimmers so as long as they have easy access to their basking platform. :D
bluecko
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks. Now I have to found a way to make them some kind of ramp so they can have easy access. :)
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

if they are too young (hatchlings) then it'll be better if u increase the water level gradually cz although they are good swimmers, they need to learn how to swim first :) be sure they'll love it later :D

good luck and pix plz if possible
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

If the turtles are small, the water level is deep, and the tank is a big one, it would also be good to have some other objects besides the basking area for them to rest on, especially if they're not used to deep water. Plastic plants would be good as resting/hiding places, and they'd add to the look of the tank as well.
reptileman
Level 4
Level 4

I plan on getting a 6-foot deep tank for my turtle that is the size of a 30 gallon tank but I'm not sure how many gallons it actually is.
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

6 foot high??, how wide and what length, the reason I ask is because 6 foot is taller than most of us. Maybe it's 6 foot wide??
bluecko
Level 1
Level 1

thanks all for your answers. im building a temporary set-up for my two RES, it is temporary because isnt the coolest of the set-up´s; is a used 10 gallon aquarium with a undergravel filter (without peebles) :( , but it has a nice basking spot. and im just waiting to have some money to buy my little turtles a 30, or at least 20 gallon tank and a really good filter and a good UVB light :P. i hope I can take some pics tomorrow to show you my RES.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

waiting for the pix :)

even if it was in width..still too huge! :roll:
bluecko
Level 1
Level 1

hey, i have another doubt, which reptisun lamp do you think I should buy, a 2.0 or 5.0? or a 20 Watt Super U.V. Coil Lamp?

well, here are the images of my temporary set-up. i put the url because the resolution is kinda big.

FRONT:
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y230/a ... sAqua1.jpg
UP:
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y230/a ... sAqua2.jpg
RES ZOOM:
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y230/audpre/res1.jpg
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

that's cute :) nice turtles u got too, they look like mine :D
Britny
Level 1
Level 1

I was told at the pet stores I've been to that it's not good to have a lot of water. Is this true or not because I don't have very much in my tank, and I'm always worried about Sid's wellbeing.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

it's not that good when they are still too young..u will have to inc. water gradually so they learn how to swim..u'll notice the difference and they will be more fun to watch later :)
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

This is my tank, notice the water level, my turtles have been in water about that deep since they were about 1 inch long.:

yaya
Level 4
Level 4

STRAYKINGFISHER wrote:This is my tank, notice the water level, my turtles have been in water about that deep since they were about 1 inch long.:

u have to had that is a 10gallon Stray(or did u change the tank also,cause the set-up change a lot :lol: )...
in that set-up my turtle was about 3 inch and the tank is a 33gallon...
my problem at the time was the current from the filters...but she got use to it,but she's a real strong girl(really poor hatchling condition"my friend,the preview owner")
btw this set-up have more then one problems(except the water dept),so don't take it as a reference...(example of problem;no basking light,small pebbles,strong current and coral too spiky for the turtle shell..)
like Dixieee said increase it slowly,and like Mariza said some resting spot in the water are always good...
kelleytidwell
Level 3
Level 3

What was the question I have a res in a pond he's great and OLD!
  • Information