Pond question

Post questions or pictures of your pond setups.
Vuki
Level 1
Level 1

My res are outgrowing their tank and i've upgraded it four times already
I'm thinking on getting a pond on my balcony, its just I'm not in the same climate as you guys.I live in Yugoslavia(SE Europe,north of Greece) the summer is ok but it gets pretty chilly here in the winter like 25F.
Is it warm enough to make a pond, should I seal my balcony and then make a pond or stick to a Tank?
Sugestions are welcome :D
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Enclosed would probably be best, if you make a pond in the open you will need to make it pretty deep if you plan on letting your turtle hibernate, you might want to read this next article on hibernation:
http://www.tortoisereserve.org/Sundry/H ... Body2.html

For indoor ponds you can do a search or click on this link for pictures of indoor ponds, it is a Google search page:
http://images.google.com/images?sourcei ... ndoor+pond

I hope that helps you out :D
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

welcome to the board :)

outdoor pond? personally i'll advise u to go for it cz i love outdoor setups, but..
if ur turtles are old enough to hibernate then u can do it (if u know how to hibernate them)..if not (and i really don't suggest hibernating cz it's not an easy job at all), u can keep them outside during summer and get them in during winter..if one tank doesn't hold them all then u can split them in the 4 u have..it's not a very good idea though bcz who knows what would be their reaction..

good luck and keep us posted :)
Vuki
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks, nice pond pics.Would a 250-300gallon 0,5m deep pond be enough to stand the winter and hibernate them properly, if not, how deep should it be?Theo and Spot are 3yrs old, they are males(dunno if it makes a difference)and they're healthy :idea: [/img]
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

3 years are young to hibernate..u can keep them indoors in winter..and since they are males, they are smaller in size and can stand in up fpr some time in an indoor setup
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

According to the first article I posted, the pond needs to be deep enough so that the turtle can dig itself into the mud and remain well below the Frost line, I think that where the frost line is depends on what area of the country you are from, you may need to ask someone in your area that knows, maybe a florist or garden supplier.
  • Information