Just wandered on in...Please help identify and diagnose...

Not sure what kind of turtle you have? Come in and ask the turtle community.
Lumhechati

HI, I just wondered on into this crazy familys' backyard, they checked w/ the neighbors and nobody has claimed me. Please help them, they need info...a.s.a.p. What kinda turtle am I? What kinda shape am I in? What kinda environmental conditions should be present for me to be happy? What kinda diet should I be on? What the deal with my crooked fingernail? Thanks in advance.

I am approx. 4" X 3" I have toes with very LONGGG nails on my front and back feet. My bottom jaw seems to project out just a bit...I can't seem to post more photos so hopefully it'll be enough. Photobucket saves the day...TY for the advice.

-Crook (Formerly known as Turtle)

Here's my pics:

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImageImage
Last edited by Lumhechati on Sat May 07, 2005 5:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

hello cute thing :)

personally i can't tell that was cz it doesn't really look like a land turtle to me so i have to see what the hands and feet look like b4..it depends on the size too..looks like a big guy to me but the front view isn't enough..

sorry cz i couldn't help, i hope others will..good luck and keep us posted
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

You ought to upload them to www.photobucket.com and then post the picture here, they don't have a limit on how many photos you can post.

I have never seen a mouth like that, it looks like it has an overbite.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

it needs braces :lol: not funny i know :o i hope that's the way they come and it's not injured :(
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

that's a land turtle..i don't know much about land turtles but is it a box turtle? cz it can completely get into the shell..wow yeah those are loong nails :)
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

deesygirl

Looks like a hingeback tortise to me.

Where did you find him?
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

It looks more like this one:

Terrapene ornata-Ornate Box Turtle
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

1-0 for members, mod. :evil:
j/k :)
Lumhechati

Thank you all for your help.
8) Crook seems to be doing very well in his new home. We have set up an enclosure with all the amenities. So far the boys have spied him eating rollie pollies, slugs, worms, strawberries, blackberries, grapes and even some dandelions. Bug finding for the little guy has turned out to be quite a hit. We live in southern California and the ornate box turtle is not native to CA so I assume he was at one point eaither a petshop turtle or moved here with somebody. If I were to guess I would estimate he is 10-15 yrs old. Ornates can live 30+ yrs. He is still very shy when anyone is near, but he is slowly "coming out of his shell" :) He doesn't like to be handled and will pee if picked up so we leave him be. His enclosure is set-up just underneath the window of one of the kids rooms so the kids can turtle watch w/o disturbing the old guy. They love watching him do his thing, especially eating bugs. I'm working on finding out his exact age and whether or not we should rename him. Dandelion seems to be the favorite if he turns out to be a she...
To tell his age I read to...look carefully at the scutes on the carapace, you will see annual growth rings. Count them up and you have a pretty good idea how many years old it is.
Can someone please tell me how to look carefully at the scutes on the carapace? I am not familiar with eaither term. Thanks
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

great, seems ur doing fine although it's not a beginners turtle so i was a bit worried at first that u won't be able to handle it.. :)

usually there's no exact way to tell the age unless u know when it was born..size and rings might estimate but doesn't give the right age cz they don't grow at a fixed rate
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

The growth rings on the shell will look kinda like the growth rings on a tree
Like counting tree rings, annual growth rings on every scute of the turtle shell can help age young turtles. Unfortunately, these rings become smooth and hard to count with age. Growth rings are easy to count to age 5, but by the time the turtle is 15 years old the growth rings have been obscured by wear. The bottom (or plastron) of the shell may even have a polished appearance. precise aging of wild turtles is difficult. These are three-toed box turtles.
Copied from: http://www.conservation.state.mo.us/nat ... oxturtles/
  • Information