basking

Discussions about aquatic turtles. (Red Ear Sliders, River Cooters, etc.)
ermoose
Level 1
Level 1

i have two cooters and a red eared slider. lately i've been bringing the turtles outside so that they can sit in the real sunlight as an alternative to their tank. and then i bring them inside and put them back in to their tank. the smalled turtle though is always on the basking rock. i don't know if that's a good thing. she plays around sometimes, but i just noticed that she's been on the basking rock for over an hour. i don't know if that's normal or not. what do you think?
rachelmarie
Level 3
Level 3

as long as she's not lethargic, she's fine.

if she starts to stay on her basking rock continuously and avoids the water, this is when you need to worry.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

i agree..if she basks a lot when u put them outside then might be she's enjoying the sun (taking a tan)

continuous basking + not eating + other signs of illness= not good

if she eats then there's nothing to worry about
ermoose
Level 1
Level 1

no she's evil she moves around a lot. she's not eating right now because we just got her, we're trying to get her used to the turtle pellets. she's pretty active though. thanks.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

oh ok..that's good :)

if u want a piece of advice, try tuna fish they love it and it can grab her attention easily
ermoose
Level 1
Level 1

my sis gave dax tuna and she said he ate a little. we'll have to try giving the two new ones tuna as well. thanks for the advice :D
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

great :) it worked with 2 our of my 3 turtles so now i love it too8)
VersteckterGeist
Level 3
Level 3

ermoose is my sis ^__^ but thank you everyone for commenting.

the turtles are now doing good, and the new ones are copying off Dax and eating.. so i'm happy for that. whew.. we were scared for a minute there though.. :roll:
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Great, Dax is becoming a good teacher :lol: :lol:
Tortuga_Sancho

I have recently moved home from college for the summer, and have upgraded my RES turtle named Sancho, who I have had for 5 months (Xmas present) from a 10 gallon tank to a tank that is about 30 gallons. He seems to be adjusting and adapting to the larger tank and deeper water, but I haven't seen him bask at all, or even go near the spot. I have a floating turtle dock, that he used all the time in the smaller tank, but right now is basically just hiding under, and floating around in the water. I am hoping that his lack of basking is due to his adapting to a new habitat, or else he is just doing it while no one is looking. He has always been rather skittish, but that never stopped him from climbing back up once people walked away. Does anyone know what could help? or if I even need help? :o
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

welcome to the board :)

probably this behavior is bcz of the change of environment..give him some time and he should be ok :)

good luck and keep us posted
yaya
Level 4
Level 4

Tortuga_Sancho; check ur temp in the basking area and the water...maybe ur water is a bit too high or ur basking too low wich can cause ur turtle to stick in the water...(it's like a hot shower when u wake up...u just wanna stay in there forever :lol: )
  • Information