bleeding

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
purplem3pursuit
Level 2
Level 2

well.. yesterday i came home to find my female completely abused by the male.. i hadn't split them up because they were getting better.. well.. obviously not.. her rears were chewed up on the back edges and when i walked in the male was taking a bite.. so the dirty turtle is sitting in the corner with the dunce's hat on.. im about to get another container but im just pissed.. because i get them a nice home and they were fine in there previous small container but for some reason the male now feels he can just chew on the female.. maybe its just that time.. who knows.. but the one thing i do know is that i have to split them up.. i might see if i can retain my old tank for the jerk and give the queen her paradise.. but what do i do about the wounds? i put her in the big tank all alone and u can tell she is still hurting.. but seems shes happier.. much more comfortable.. but what do you guys recommend.. im probably rambling.. sorry.. just mad about the little defecate that seems he can take advantage of a lady.. grrrr :x
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

oh the poor girl..get her and i'll let my Green give her some courses to teach that guy his limits :x

ok now for the wounds..is she still bleeding? take her out of water and use some creams (i think u were the one whom we gave a list of creams)..if not then check them here
http://www.austinsturtlepage.com/Care/m ... 0Scratches
scroll to the bottom and u'll find them

i hope she'll be ok..good luck and keep us posted
purplem3pursuit
Level 2
Level 2

well i have been watching her.. i didn't get to the reply soon enough but its ok.. the bleeding subsided and she seems to be happy right now.. no scare of having her rears chewed at.. the moron is in a rubbermaid container on the floor next to the tank.. its only 31 gallons but he can live for now.. i wanna make sure her wounds get sealed up.. they look good though.. i don't think they are showing any signs of infection (really don't know how they could get infected as clean as that tank is lol ) also.. hes getting the shaft because he has no heater, but it is on the floor as i said and i have radiant heat.. so that should be enough.. plus its 74 in my house right now.. but whatever.. he doesn't deserve to live in the tank so he can "chill" there for now and think of what he did.. thanks for the list of creams.. i will put them on my list of things to get.. i just wanna make sure im prepared in the future.. her shell was looking better too but once again the ass was biting the rear of that too.. i just don't get it.. shes bigger and the best is when she finally gets pissed, she bites at his fronts and holds on.. needless to say he stops then.. but by that time the damage has been done.. argh.. how long do you think it would take her to heal?
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

hmm i don't know how long it takes..i know that skin problems take a while to look like normal again although they heal quickly but i don't know if it applies to bites too..

anyways,,i agree with what u did to the mean guy..yes it's not good to put him in unappropriate conditions but sometimes they deserve it and it worked with my girl when she was bullying around

good luck and i hope the little girl get well soon :)
purplem3pursuit
Level 2
Level 2

well so far so good.. the bleeding is over.. the healing is going well.. the bad boy is in the main tank to warm up a bit.. the girl is onthe floor under a basking lamp and all is well.. i guess ill just have to do it this way until i get a screen to seperate the tank..
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

good news :) waiting for the better..
purplem3pursuit
Level 2
Level 2

well things have gotten worse... i put the jerk in with her again and he chewed her rears up.. but now it seems she has blood spots all over her rear area.. i have no idea how these little spots have been coming up.. also.. it seems her shell is developing small "O"s in it.. where a layer of shell has come up.. its just wierd.. whats going on? i think she is going to have to go to the vet.. im tired of seeing her suffer.. im going to put some neosporin on her rears tonight and keep her out of the tank until morning.. it seems she doesn't want to go in.. she keeps clawing her way out (when im trying to place her in).. obviously a bad sign.. and the tank is dirty because i haven't had time to clean it.. is it possible her rear cuts have gotten infection.. lemme take shot with my camera phone and see if i can show u.. its not pretty though..
purplem3pursuit
Level 2
Level 2

here are the pix.. mind u i need help.. im keeping her out of the tank for tonight.. its dirty and not helping the situation.. from there i will see what she looks like in the morning..

edit: thankfully the phone is showing most of the problem spots.. those red spots are not open wounds.. rather.. they are just red spots.. and they are in the corners etc.. so let me know what you guys thing.. thanks so much.. i think im going to take her to the vet anyways.. anyone know where i can find one local?
yaya
Level 4
Level 4

personnally i thing infection as started...(probably cause of the water and no time to heal)...i think vet is required at that point and it might doesn't cost too much since it just started...my advice is to separate them for good...the problem between them is just gotta get worst...a rubbermaid container might be a temporary option for the "bad" turtle.... :(
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

You can find out if there is a vet near you at these urls:

http://www.arav.org/USMembers.htm (US)

http://www.arav.org/WorldMembers.htm (WORLD)
purplem3pursuit
Level 2
Level 2

should i take them both in? also.. is cost pretty low for turtles? is it ok if i take her in on friday? sorry for the so many ignorant questions.. they have never been to the vet..
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

oh sorry for that..we were expecting good news about the little girl :( yeah seems it's time they are separated for good as yaya said..call the vet, explain what happened (if he/she's willing to listen) and then take and appointment..i don't know how much it'll cost but this girl needs a treatment anyways..if u want to cut the costs down then there's no need to take the rude guy if he's fine unless u want a check up only

good luck and keep us posted
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

It would probably be a good idea to take both in for checkups but like dixieee said, if the male is not hurt, just take the female in to have the vet check the wound. I hope you gave the male a spanking :evil: :lol: :lol:
purplem3pursuit
Level 2
Level 2

the male is on my list of people/animals to kill.. lol.. no but for real.. she is looking/feeling better.. when i came home today she was up and about running around the tank.. so maybe the neosporin is working the way it should.. i put some more on just alittle bit ago and she basking in the light while i clean her tank.. but im still taking her to the vet.. actually im having my mom due it while shes in town on monday.. the place near me on the list doesn't take clients anymore.. how gay is that!!!! but they gave me a few places i could go.. one is like 30 minutes away.. and another is an hour.. but whatever.. if she gets better and if it costs 100$.. ill be fine.. just as long as she gets better. thats all that matters..
purplem3pursuit
Level 2
Level 2

just as an update.. i cleaned her tank out... put some more neosporin on her rears and let her lay around a bit.. seems shes definitly getting better.. right now she won't go to bed.. and a couple of days ago all she would do is sleep.. therefore i feel like she was trying to fight the infection.. things are definitly starting to look up :D
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

yay goood :P i agree with stray, the male should know he did something wrong :x just don't kill him, lol (i know u won't :) )

anyways good luck and keep us posted
purplem3pursuit
Level 2
Level 2

lol.. no i wouldn't kill.. yeah u would think he knew that he was butchering her ass.. lol.. we will see.. he doesn't do much in the rubber maid container.. just moves around.. nothing major though.. ill probably take him out so he can run around and get some good exercise... the little lady as of this morning was up and ready to go.. i came in, turned on the light.. and she was up already.. well.. i think she heard me coming down the stairs (loud ass creaking).. but for some reason she always knows when im coming... but things are looking up.. we will see how the vet goes now.. thanks for all the help guys.. its much appreciated :arrow:
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

You're welcome, I am glad the female is doing alot better. :D
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

hehe she knew she's going on a trip today..those devils know a lot more than what we expect..when i had to take my girl to the vet she suddenly became better and was curious to look at everything again! i hope she'll be ok..good luck on ur trip to the vet and keep us posted as soon as u can
purplem3pursuit
Level 2
Level 2

well i got her to the vet.. a couple of things.. first the most important.. the wound.. turns out what may have happened so all some rugburn... i do let her on the carpet and he said these DO NOT look like bites but rather like she was scraping her feet on something.. he said the rocks really shouldn't affect this but rather that she has to carry her weight and may not be getting off the ground.. funny that.. she doesn't.. therefore more friction caused by her shell and so her rears actually slip across the carpet.. and thats why she has the nasty wounds.. so thats the first part.. next he looked at her shell and it seems that she is in GREAT health (other than the wounds), just that she needs a bit more calcium.. seems the long term in the small take didn't give her the needed calcium (never had a light) and so she needs a bit of a supliment.. well i put one of those sulfate calcium cubes in to A) clean out the bacteria and B) give her a bit more calcium through the water.. as recommended per the doctor.. finally i asked him about feeding and whether she looked fat.. he sad that u DO NOT have to worry about overfeeding them.. if they are fed often they will begin to regulate themselves, therefore setting there proper weight etc.. i found that quite interesting.. the guy really seemed to know what he was talking about though..

so anyways.. thats the day.. everyone in the place was like "oh how CUTE" etc.. we had her in a cat carrier so everyone was asking first "whats wrong with ur kitty".. my mom was saying "its a turtle".. lol.. so that was pretty cool.. also.. so u guys can get an idea of the weight.. she weighed in at 2.6 lbs!!!! supposedly thats alot.. u tell me... but anyways.. it was a good time.. shes home safe and eager as ever to move around..

oh also.. a shot was given to her leg because it seemed it was a bit infected.. the reason the other guy was biting at her rears is because of the puss that was most likely coming from that region.. so it turns out that they may be able to be together once again in a few weeks when she is healed.. and we were all blaming the jerk.. haha.. i guess he was just smelling blood or something.. so now i have to give her an antibiotic every day to treat the wound and she will be as good as new.. i think shes growing again.. oh god.. so when will i be getting the next tank.. haha.. so all is well.. thank you everyone for ur help! :arrow: :arrow: :arrow:
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

ImageImageImage

Yay, that is good news, the girl is on the way to a good recovery, I am very glad that it wasn't very serious.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

oh so we have to apologize to the guy..sorry buddy :oops: :lol:

it all makes sense..he knew there was something wrong with her exactly like what my turtle did when the other one was sick..she was so agressive with him (maybe that's what they do in nature so the sick ones don't disturb their life journey or whatever they do like in many species:o )

the weight part is interesting but i'm not sure if ALL turtles follow it..

anyways, glad to hear the good news and i hope she'll be ok soon and have back her friend and live together happily ever after :D
  • Information