Help I want to know what this turtle I found is, I have pic

Not sure what kind of turtle you have? Come in and ask the turtle community.
jill_sweetheart2000
Level 1
Level 1

please email me or something to let me know what this is and i will send the picture too you my yahoo is [email protected] thanks anyone who helps[/img]
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

If you have the picture on an online album you can post it on this board, just post it like this: [img]pictureurl/jpeg[/img]

If you don't, use the www.photobucket.com they are a free online album.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

here are the pix..looks like a semi-aquatic to me and it just laid an egg! :D

hmm could it be some type of sliders?
kelleytidwell
Level 3
Level 3

That's weird is it just me or .......... no wait...

I live in Florida aon the Space Coast and it's turtle season as in LAYING EGG season when was this pic taken and where? Turtles (SEA) can migrate.

That's really big turtle wow.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

sea turtle?? hmmm could be but i don't see webbed feet :?:
jill_sweetheart2000
Level 1
Level 1

the exact date these pictures were taken was May 5, 2005. can a sea turtle live in a fresh water pond? this turtle is in my pond, these eggs are layed in my front yard. she doesnt have webbed feet like the other turtles (i think are snappers i have seen here) all she has is the flippers i can see.
kelleytidwell
Level 3
Level 3

Sea Turtles can live in brakish water don't know about ponds. But it's that time of year......

Maybe a snapping turtle just it's so big.
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

It kinda looks like an old RES. :D , it does have webbed feet, look at the second picture just above the egg that is coming out.
kelleytidwell
Level 3
Level 3

Can they get that big?
deesygirl

It does not have webbed back feet...it has flippers. Let me check on this. There are some smaller spieces of sea turtles that live in the gulf. I'll see what I can find.
deesygirl

The only turtles with flippers are sea turtles. I thought it might be a Kemps Ridley but Iwas wrong. It appears to be an Olive Ridley. http://www.hsus.org/wildlife/a_closer_l ... urtle.html

You really need to contact your local animal control as sea turtles are a protected species don't mess with it your self. Do you have a local Fish Wildlife and Game? I think I would try them first. Olives are suceptible to polluted waters so if it is living in a brackish area it really needs to be moved. Do you live far from the coast? If so someone may have tried keeping it and it got loose. The eggs may not be fertile but you really need to get mom to a better area.
Last edited by deesygirl on Mon May 23, 2005 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kelleytidwell
Level 3
Level 3

Wow, looks like I had it wow. I thought so. I'd watch where the egg was layed for a baby soon cause it will be running for water somewhere.

If your call the wildlife preservation they'll come remove it they did it here in Florida after the hurricanes.
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

It doesn't look like an olive ridley, check this site out, it is a library of sea turtles, the link is to the olive ridley part of the library:
http://www.seaturtle.org/cgi-bin/imagel ... =1&thumb=1

Most of the sea turtles I saw have a teardrop shaped shell, the one above has an ovalish shell. Sorry to disagree :(

Notice the back leg on this one:
Trachemys decorata --Hispaniola Slider
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

i believe it's a slider too..i bet for $20..who's in? :lol:

what about the front claws?? that should solve it
deesygirl

Ok guys you must not have read the link I posted. First of all Olive's have a heart shaped shell not tear drop as most other sea turtles. That was the second clue on this turtles picture. FYI: The Kemps Ridley shell is perfectly round. The first clue however was the flippers. Do any of you have a photo editor? If so you can save the picture to your computer and in the editor you can zoom in on the back flipper, and that is what it is a flipper. Sea turtles are the only ones with flippers.

Here is from the Humane Society's web page.

NOAA
Olive ridleys get their name from the coloring of their heart-shaped carapace (shell), which starts out grey but reaches an olive green once the turtles are adults.
Their shells are made up of a large number of vertebral and coastal scutes (bony plates) that are nearly circular. Olive ridleys are different from other sea turtle species in that the number of coastal scutes varies from one habitat to another. They have one to two visible claws on each of their paddle-like flippers. Relatively small-headed, they are also small of bodyâ€â€
deesygirl

Olive Ridley, bad pic. It would be better looking at it from the top. But hey it's the best I can do.

STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Another reason I don't think it is a sea turtle is that the top picture shows the turtle is retracted into its shell, according to this article, sea turtles can not retract:
While most species of land turtles and tortoises are able to retract their heads into their shells for added protection, sea turtles are not able to do so, and their heads remain out at all times.
deesygirl

I have emailed the humane society and we will se if they can help with this. If it is a sea turtle it will need to be removed to a safer location. Either back to the sea or an approved rescue.

I know what you mean by the head retraction. However it does not solve the flipper issue. It will be interesting to see what it really is.
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

I hope that they can identify the turtle, I am very curious to see what they say. :D

I wasn't trying to be a smarty pants, I just posted the info I found. :D
deesygirl

So far it seems we have stumped them too. I emailed a few people and so far no one has a definate answer. One thinks it may be a cross of some type, possibly a sea turtle with a freash water, but they also said they did not think that was truly possible. One thought it might be a type of river cooter. One thought it could possibly be an old RES. (Dixieee, here is a vote for your idea. :) ) I am going to keep going with this. Those are really good pictures and I hope someone will be able to tell us with certainty what it is. I am still waiting to hear back from the game warden as well as a herptologist.
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Cool, we stumped the experts :evil: :evil: :lol: :lol: , Thanks deesygirl for all of your efforts. :D
deesygirl

I just checked my emails and it seems that the Herptologist would like some more info, if possible, as pictures can be decieving.

Approx how big is the shell from head to tail?

Did the back feet have 2 claws on each flipper or was there more?

Are the front feet flippers as well or are they webbed feet?

Did you notice if the front feet had claws as well?

Was there any color markings on the skin?

Turtle eggs hatch anywhere from 45-60 days depending on breed. If the eggs were fertile you should see little babies running around looking for water. Hatchlings might prove easier to identify.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

thanx mod 8)

i was just thinking if it could be a mix of sea and sem-aquatic turtle but found out it would be stupid and as u said it's almost impossible..maybe it's a new species not discovered yet :lol:

OR could it be that it has a hurt claw that's why it looks like a flipper? :o
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

BACK CLAW/FOOT:

FRONT CLAW/FOOT:

I hope this pictures help. :D
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

personally i could see it clearly..it's walking and the front claw is bent..it is an old slider :D

high five stray :lol:
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Thanks, but I still want to wait on the experts to see what they say. :D
deesygirl

Yes I can see the 2 claws on the back foot as well. Those are the easy ones, however some turtles only have claws on the back and not on the front, some only have 2 claws and other have 4 claws. I had copied the pictures to my computer and sent them along with a link to this topic. However the professionals want more info. The herp noticed something I didn't. The saw tooth edge to the bottom of the shell. He thinks it is more likely a cooter but the scute formation is a little more like a RES, but those back leg pictures are fairly clear and he is not sure what to make of it. Along with the original posters coment about not webbed-feet but flippers, this has him intrigued. Hense the extra questions.

FYI'S: River cooters get up to 12" they lay eggs in May and June. The shell markings show a backwards c. This is how you tell the difference between Rivers and Florida Cooters. They have yellow thin stripes on their head, neck and legs. Shell darkens with age.

Slidders: found in the same area. wide Yellow predominate stripe from eye area back down to neck. Males darken with age. Can be olive to dark brown, shell slightly keeled.

I have emailed jill-sweetheart and asked her to check the post and see if she can get him the info he wants.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

deesygirl is whom i call a mod 8)

this is getting serious, i'm out :lol:
jill_sweetheart2000
Level 1
Level 1

didn't know I would get so much wonder on this. i am starting to believe she is a RES too. I don't want to have her moved if she can survive, unless she is endangered, but i dont think she is. i love turtles, the eggs havent hatched yet, nothing moved in the ground yet. and i havent seen her again. She mostly probably stays in the water. the day i took the pictures was the first and last time i have seen her. i saw a snapper after that but wasnt as big as her but he wasnt small. He wasnt aggressive either i picked him up and moved him closer to the water, poor thing was in the road. i am not sure i want to go swimming in the pond and look for her, i dont want to desturb nature.
jill_sweetheart2000
Level 1
Level 1

my wonder was why did she have that back flipper, i dont know about the rest
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

deesygirl said something about having 2 claws but she said they can be in the back only and it's the opposite in here :o

maybe she was injured and it healed that way
deesygirl

dixieee wrote: maybe she was injured and it healed that way
I think that is what the herp thought as well. He aslo mentioned people messing with nature to much and having crosses. He was leaning more toward a Cooter than a RES. Or again; a cross between them. That is why he was interested in size and # of claws and skin markings.

Jill, what a wonderful thing to have in your yard. Since she seems happy there and everything seems balanced for her. I would just enjoy her in her natural habitat. Watch for those babies. I would guess somewhere aroung mid June. Also watch for possums, coons and snakes as they like to dig up the nests and eat the babies.
jill_sweetheart2000
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to watch the nest. Doesnt seem to be disturbed yet, but I will definitly keep watch. I hope to get a picture of the babies. If I do I will put them on here or send them to someone to get them to for me. Pray they are fertile and ok. Thanks everyone.
wisp_13
Level 2
Level 2

It could be a type of map turtle, although most are on the smaller side. Look at the saw-like back of the shell, common map turtle characteristic. I myself own a map turtle, and it looks similar to a cousin of it. Im not sure the name....although it is strange that the carapace is yellow...Im not sure. Maybe you could check on the Map Turtle possibility though. :?:
centex
Level 2
Level 2

Deff a slider...as the turtle gets older it turns dark and loses its "red ear" in many cases......my females look the same way. No doubt here.

John
rodeo144
Level 3
Level 3

It may not be a slider and if it is its probably a YBS or RES. It also could be a cooter cooters look very similar in apearance to sliders but grow larger and eat more vegetation. I would guess a Pennisular cooter if not a slider.
  • Information