falling...

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
ermoose
Level 1
Level 1

i was holding my turtle...and he was kicking at my hands and he kind of kicked his way out of my hands and he fell. it was only about three or four inches height at the most and he retreated into his shell. but he kind of bounced...and now i don't know if he'll be ok. i mean he's swimming around and everything as though nothing happened. but i'm scared to pick him up now, i don't want to drop him again. do you think i could have hurt him?
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

it's not THAT high but be careful next time..they have the shell to hide in..i don't know if it absorbs shocks but i suppose that is what it's doing on top..as long as he's not hurt, the shell didn't crack, no blood or anything then he must be fine hopefully:)
ermoose
Level 1
Level 1

no he looks like he's doing great. he's swimming around and everything. as soon as it happened he just got up again and started walking and swimming. no cracks in his shell, no blood, no loss of consciousness. i checked. i think he's okay, but i'm not picking him up anymore.
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

There is no reason why you can't handle your turtle because it fell, one of mine has fallen about two times, and he still struggles to get free from my hands, if you are afraid he will kick himself free again you can put him in a small container, like an empty "Country Crock" margarine spread so that you can take him wherever you're gonna take him and then let him out closer to the ground.
ermoose
Level 1
Level 1

thanks, that's what my sister suggested that i should do, so that's what i will do. i just felt so bad, i didn't know what to do. i mean...i don't know anything about turtle anatomy and first aid, or what to do if a turtle gets hurt. thanks for the advice. :)
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

it's ok he's fine then :)

don't stop picking him up cz u do want him to get used to u, believe me..just hold him well and they say u have to carry him on ur palm (not by fingers from the shell) so the turtle has something to stand on :o i don't know why's that and i personally don't do it :oops:

i used to drop my turtles a lot when i first got them..they kept struggling and i let them go..it was so stupid so now i hold them tight they can never get away
ermoose
Level 1
Level 1

thanks i'll definately keep that in mind. the thing is that the turtles are evil and if i just let them stand on my palm....they have a tendency to run off X)
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

that's a good sign too :)
AllTurtles
Administrator
Administrator

One of my turtles actually escaped one night. The tank's top edge was about 4 feet from the ground. We found him the next day in the closet with a bunch of dust on it's nose. Needless to say, he was fine. We learned our lesson and made sure we have less water in the tank. These guys are pretty tough! :roll:
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

lol my hamster did the same..she was SO tiny and went behind the fridge..i don't know how did we find that out but oh miserable memories :x
  • Information