questionable cooters

Discussions about turtles.
VersteckterGeist
Level 3
Level 3

i'm sorry i keep posting so many questions.. i just want these little guys to grow up and have the best life i can possible provide. i love animals.. especially reptiles..

1. i just got two cooter hatchlings yesterday. there's one that's extremely tiny.. i think she has a problem with one of her legs.. she still walks on it and everything, and never lets her down, it's jsut.. something doesn't seem quite right... is there something i can do about that?

2. she likes to bask a LOT.. yesterday after i brought them in from outside, (some people here suggested an outside tank type thing to give them more sun, and that's what was going on there) she never got off the heating rock. however, this morning i went to put some food in the tank, and she dove off of the rock like it was going out of style lol.

3. i keep calling her she.. how do you tell the sex in cooters? she's smaller then the other one, but she has more defined red on her shell then the bigger one. i've read somewhere that cooter females are more red in color then the males. (florida red bellied cooter)

4. my RES that lives with the two cooters... is picking up bad habits from them!!!!! HELP! he never ate his plastic grass before.. but since the two cooters came along.. they all attack it. i've had to remove it. i know the cooters probably won't eat until tomorrow (because they're new to the enviornment) but my RES who -just- got used to being able to eat infront of people won't eat now either. he basks when the cooters bask.. and the cooters actually sing to each other.. my RES started singing too! i just hope the cooters copy off of my RES and learn to eat.. because i went throuh all types of madness from dipping everything in tuna, to even playing a soundtrack of the swamps.. to get him to eat..

ugh! i think that's it for now. thanks for listening :)
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

I think that its a case of monkey see monkey do :D , if they are all eating right and basking I don't see that there is much of a problem, maybe just hope that your RES will show them some manners :D :D
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

lol they're so cute and funny..it must be so fun watching them :)

for the little girl, i don't know about cooters but usually they say u can't tell what a turtle is until it is about 4 inches and above..i don't know about her foot either..any pix?
VersteckterGeist
Level 3
Level 3

STRAYKINGFISHER wrote:I think that its a case of monkey see monkey do :D , if they are all eating right and basking I don't see that there is much of a problem, maybe just hope that your RES will show them some manners :D :D
lol i think so too. they all copy off of each other.. i hope my RES shows them some manners.. the tank is so bare because teh cooters tear everything up!
VersteckterGeist
Level 3
Level 3

dixieee wrote:lol they're so cute and funny..it must be so fun watching them :)

for the little girl, i don't know about cooters but usually they say u can't tell what a turtle is until it is about 4 inches and above..i don't know about her foot either..any pix?
yea, they're so adorable! :)

hummm okay, well thank you :) i'll take some pictures when they're that size.. maybe we'll be able to find out something then lol. i'm going to post some picx of them. i finally got some :D her foot is doing better. i bought a heating thing for the water yesterday (it only took me so long because i had to save up:() and she's doing fine. she bugs the mess out of her brothers though... lol.
VersteckterGeist
Level 3
Level 3

i posted pix up in the pictures section if anyone wants to see. otherwise, i don't want to spam up anyone's message boards :mrgreen:
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

cool gotta go see them :D
  • Information