nutrients by water?

Discussions about turtles.
Jackietwo
Level 1
Level 1

Just a thought - if you dissolve the turtle pellets in water - then the turtle is in that water, does he automatically get his food by swallowing the water? ???? (Container without a filter, etc.)
My new guy will not eat out of the 10 gallon tank. (trying to keep the tank cleaner). If I put him back in the 10 gal.. no problem - he eats.
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Yeah, I have the same problem, I put them in a separate container to eat and nothing, they just look around and freak out when they see me, but I put them back in the tank and they will devour anything I put in there, strange and annoying.

I finally gave up and just syphon the water out with a clear plastic (or PVC) hose, I fill the hose at the sink and cover both ends then go to the tank and stick one end in the tank and uncover that end and when I am ready I let go of the other end and the water starts to pour out immediately, no sucking water into your mouth--yuk.
reptileman
Level 4
Level 4

This is rather out in the open, but maybe if you warm the tepmerature of the water up a little, the turtle might eat in it. Warmer water does increase metabolism which includes, eating, swimming, and going to the bathroom. Just a thought. :P
VersteckterGeist
Level 3
Level 3

none of my little turtles will eat outside of their tank either. i thought something was wrong with them at first.. whenever i put them in another tank (even if the water is warmer there then in their original tank!), they still won't eat. they paddle around like lunatics.. or stare.

ugh lol.

turtles.. :mrgreen:

i just clean the tank every two days, and let the filter do the rest.
poppyduce
Level 2
Level 2

I too am destined to cleaning the tank every couple days, as mine freak out when not in their tank to eat. Guess it could be worse... :P :P :P
rachelmarie
Level 3
Level 3

my little guy won't eat in the container if i'm there to watch him. if i walk away from 5-10 minutes, all the food will be gone. you could try it, if you haven't already.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

lol rach he's enjoying his role as "ooh the little shy new guy" :lol:

ok guys don't 4get that turtles need time to get used to a new environment..maybe u will have to keep them for some more time in the feeding bowl (even if not during feeding time) so they get used to it..or maybe u can put the food in their home and then after they get it take them out to the seperate one immediately so they have to continue their meal in there..i don't know if it works but they'll have to get used to it b4 they could eat in there by themselves..

good luck :)
coboot
Level 1
Level 1

I tried to feed Tinny in another tank. Yeah she wont eat. I am stuck cleaning out the tank once a week.
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Same here, every time I put them in another tank to feed them they just go frantic trying to get out, after a while they settle and just look around and not even touch their food.
  • Information