Major problem with my red eared slider- PLEASE HELP!

Discussions about turtles.
schmee

I just went to feed my red eared slider some meal worms which he loves and the turtle seems to have lockjaw. He went to eat the worm by opening his mouth but could not close his mouth. \
He seems to have lost all ability to chew or bite down as his jaw seems to get locked. Does anyone know the reason why this is happening?
If so, what can I do to cure him? He has not eaten in over a week now because he cannot chew or bite down.

The turtle does not have any visible swelling around the mouth or jaw and he appears to be healthy. He just cant chew or grab onto any food.

I appreciate any assistance. Thanks
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

I have never heard of a turtle getting lock-jaw, you should take it to the vet to see what is going on. Sorry I couldn't help. :(
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

hmm now this is strange..i never heard about such things b4 so yes u should take him to the vet or at least call up one and ask what u can do (like dissolve vitamins in the water or something) so ur turtle gets the needed food..they can stay without food for a couple of weeks so you already passed one don't let it be any longer

good luck and keep us posted this is weird..i hope he'll be ok..welcome to the board
  • Information