RES shell soft

Do you have questions about the basics of turtle care?
Posada
Level 2
Level 2

my RES' shell is a bit soft above her tail. I do have the calcium block and she spends most of her time in the water. Are there any supplements or food that I can give her that contains calcium so her shell will harden up and keep it that way? If you can share some products names itd be the most helpful thing. Thanks
Captain_Turtle
Level 3
Level 3

Posada wrote:my RES' shell is a bit soft above her tail. I do have the calcium block and she spends most of her time in the water. Are there any supplements or food that I can give her that contains calcium so her shell will harden up and keep it that way? If you can share some products names itd be the most helpful thing. Thanks
You can try a calcium powder that you could dust onto some foods. To hold it there longer, try wetting the food a teeny bit and sprinkle it on, then wait for it to dry. Or you could try that new product theyre selling, which dissolves calcium into the water.....? You'll have to look it up. It's a bowl used for snakes and lizards and that kind of stuff.

Also, try cuttlebone, which you can break into smaller parts for your turtle to gnaw on. However, I suggest you take it out into the sun to harden its shell. You know, take it for a walk and stuff. Hope this helps.

~C_T~
deesygirl

Do you have a good uvb and uva light? That is very important for her calcium absorbtion. You said she does not bask much. What is the temp of your basking area? It should be slightly warmer than her water to encourage her to bask. If she is shy you could cover the sides of her tank with a sheet until she is more comfortable in her surroundings.
Posada
Level 2
Level 2

I have a good uvb/uva light, I cant think of the name of it right now. I do keep the land warmer than the water.
I know that she is a bit shy, she will poke her head out of water but when you take a step towards her she dives under and hides in the plants.
reptileman
Level 4
Level 4

Posada wrote: she will poke her head out of water but when you take a step towards her she dives under and hides in the plants.
That's how my turtle is. I'd like for him to bask even more when I'm around, But I think its an emotional thing.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

is ur turtle new? it's shy and u have to let it get used to u so it can bask..handle it and play with it more..until it isn't shy anymore, try to give her some more privacy so she could bask..maybe cover the tank

good luck and keep us posted
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

That's what I did with mine, I put a curtain in front of the tank so that they can have some privacy to bask (who wants someone watching you when you're trying to get a tan :D ), but I did make a small hole in the curtain so I can spy on them, it works sometimes but most of the time as soon as I got near enough to look through the hole they would have their heads up and looking around, come to find out that the bottom part of the curtain was being attracted to my pants because of the static cling thing, so the curtain moved and gave me away :lol: :lol:
Posada
Level 2
Level 2

she must know that I've been talking about her because everytime I went in to look at her yesterday she was out on the land with her head out and legs up in the air soakin up the heat.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

lol that was easy :lol:
  • Information