RES tankmates?

Ask questions about your turtles behavior here. (Fighting, strange things, etc.)
VersteckterGeist
Level 3
Level 3

Thu Apr 28, 2005 8:49 pm

okay, i'm not quite sure where to post this, so please don't flame me.. :oops:

anywho, i've read that there are stories of turtles getting extremely lonely and clawing at their own skin.

i've recently found a baby male RES, and he is completely skittish. when other people go near his tank or even walk into my bed room, he dives off of the rock, and i'm convinced he's going to give himself a coronary one of these days..

anyway, he's been in my room almost a month now.

i want to know if anyone else knows about turtles mutilating themselves because they're bored.. or lonely.

i also wanted to know if anyone knows where to get another RES. i found mine by chance.. in my swimming pool, but since it's summer and there was chloriene dumped in it.. i doubt that chance is going to happen again.

i don't want my turtle depressed.. but he seems to be bored in his tank. if i can't get another turtle to put in it, what else could i put in it? he's about the size of a silver dollar, and has a 10 gallon tank.

for christmas, i'm going to get him a 100 gallon tank... i hear female RES are.. well.. big ladies.. and i want my turtle to be happy.. even if that means i'll have to go tromping through the bayou myself to find him a ladyfriend.. lol

any suggestions?
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Thu Apr 28, 2005 9:05 pm

I got mine at a flea market, so you might try one of those. :D
AllTurtles
Administrator
Administrator

Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:23 pm

Maybe try putting a mirror next to the tank. It may think there is another turtle in the tank with him. It may also make the tank look bigger. :)
VersteckterGeist
Level 3
Level 3

Fri Apr 29, 2005 1:32 am

Taryn wrote:Maybe try putting a mirror next to the tank. It may think there is another turtle in the tank with him. It may also make the tank look bigger. :)
a mirror? LOL my poor turtle.. i have a background on the back of the tank.. and the poor thing tries to swim through it all the time.. i'd hate to see him with a mirror.. but it is an idea, thank you! :)
VersteckterGeist
Level 3
Level 3

Fri Apr 29, 2005 1:32 am

STRAYKINGFISHER wrote:I got mine at a flea market, so you might try one of those. :D
wow.. that's a pretty unusual place.. but thanks! i'll definately check them out :)
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Fri Apr 29, 2005 9:41 am

You're welcome, I used to have a mirror on the back part of the tank enclosure, I removed it because my sister wanted it back :lol: :lol: :lol:
VersteckterGeist
Level 3
Level 3

Sat Apr 30, 2005 3:58 pm

STRAYKINGFISHER wrote:You're welcome, I used to have a mirror on the back part of the tank enclosure, I removed it because my sister wanted it back :lol: :lol: :lol:
you know what, i just tried that mirror idea.

my sister and i sat in my room with great anticipation.. watching dax (that's his name) swim towards the mirror, we thought he'd be happy with a friend.. instead, with a great fit of rage, he swam behind the mirror and pushed it over.

i guess some turtles, you can never satisfy....
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Sat Apr 30, 2005 4:31 pm

I guess he figured out it was a fake :D :D
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

Sun May 01, 2005 10:11 am

lol he's already spoiled :lol:

get him some guppies for the meanwhile, he'll enjoy chasing them around..

and yeah, if u want ur turtle not to be scared when he sees anyone, handle him more and let him see different faces..my turtles are very friendly and social now bcz 8 different hands feed them, they bite on 40 different fingers, and see 4 different faces each day (at least) :o
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Sun May 01, 2005 5:04 pm

The only time my turtles have bitten me is when I had just handled something that reminds them of food, tuna for example, I actually wanted them to bite me to find out how hard they bite, they don't bite all that hard, I guess they bite harder if they are pissed. :lol: :lol: :lol:
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

Mon May 02, 2005 12:55 pm

they don't bite all that hard? try it again then :lol:
it hurts,,i heard my finger muscles getting torn..well, not that much but it hurts :|
mrshynd1214
Level 1
Level 1

Wed May 04, 2005 9:59 am

I got my two RES at the local State Fair during the summer. I've also seen them once in a fish store, but I think the owner was personally breeding them.

Your turtles behavior sounds normal to me, they are called sliders because they slide into the water at the faintest noise or movement.

Mine were like that for about the first 6 months, but now they are just used to us. Now, they stay out of the water and bask even when we're in the room. Just put in alot of face time and Dax should get used to you, after all, you are a thousand times his size :lol:
mrshynd1214
Level 1
Level 1

Wed May 04, 2005 10:02 am

P.S. We recently got a store named Petco and they sale RES, only they are a few years old. They are about 6-10 inches in length. Maybe down the road you could get Dax a lady friend, it's too hard to tell males from females until they are a few years old anyways.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

Sun May 08, 2005 9:52 am

by the time they are 6-10 inches i think u can tell :)
Britny
Level 1
Level 1

Wed May 25, 2005 9:27 pm

Do turtles really get lonely? I want another turtle but I wasn't sure if my thirty gallon tank is big enough for two of them. If Sid is going to get lonely then I have to do something.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

Thu May 26, 2005 6:24 am

it depends..some turtles are territorial and prefer to live alone while others feel lonely and want some company..i don't know how u can tell though

a 30-gallon can hold 2 hatchlings for a while (depending on their sizes)
Britny
Level 1
Level 1

Thu May 26, 2005 12:07 pm

I don't have two hatchlings. I have my RES that's about six inches in length and I didn't want to get a baby and have him be a lot smaller. So, is 30 gallons enough for another guy about his size?
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

Thu May 26, 2005 6:11 pm

oh ok..well the rule says 10 gallons/inch of shell length so,,
not many people follow it but u can estimate by looking
  • Information