unsure...

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
Mimi

I would greatly appreciate if you answer my very dumb questions...lol.

I got a turtle about 3 months ago and i have noooo idea how to take care of it. i didn\'t get it at a store or anything, I got it from a friend who has as much knowledge of taking care of this turtle as I do. It used to submerge itself under the water but now it always wants to be on land. His shell used to be bright green but now its very dry looking and there are white dry spots all on its back. I went to pick it up one day, and the edges of the shell were soft...I don\'t know what to do!? I don\'t know what\'s wrong with it and it never walks around but i know it moves because every once in a while it goes to a differnt spot. the turtle has red stripes on its neck if it helps. How often am i suppose to change the water? I know its a bit late in the game but I need help...thanks in advance!!!
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Sorry, I have not been able to find a match for your turtle, it would help alot if you could post a picture :D
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

welcome to the board :)

red stripes on the neck? that's a Red Eared Slider (RES) which is a very common turtle and perfect for beginners..check the care sheets on this site u'll find them at the top and then go to water turtle care..ur turtle doesn't have the right setup that's why it's not in a good condition..

u have to read a lot about turtles cz learning never stops..but don't worry, they're so fun :)

good luck with ur little guy..btw, what did u call him?
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

OOPS, sorry, I misread the post, I could've sworn it said that the turtle had stripes on it shell, what can I say, my eyes aren't as good as they used to be, thanks dixieee for picking up my slack :lol: :lol:
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

hehe it's ok stray we're all getting older :lol:

most welcome :)
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Only on the internet can we retain our youth :lol: :lol: :lol:
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Mimi, the fact that your turtle has a soft shell most likely means it has metabolic bone disease. This is serious, painful for him, and if you don't change his living conditions, he will die. How big is he (the shell, front to back)? What kind of set-up do you have for him? If he's two inches long, for example, he needs to be in a 20-gallon tank or similar-size container, in water that's at least as deep as he is long. If you don't have a water filter, you need to change the water frequently--every other day.

He should have a basking area that he can easily get on and dry off , and he should be able to basking under proper lighting--a UVB light and heat lamp (they are not the same). If you're putting him in front of a window for sunlight, he's not benefiting--the glass is blocking the UVB rays. If/when it's warm enough (at least high 70's), getting him outside for unfiltered sunlight would really be good. He also needs to get more calcium in his diet. What are you feeding him?
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

mariza wrote: This is serious, painful for him
leo was suffering from it :(
  • Information