Turtle ate a pebble

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
lilo
Level 1
Level 1

Okay...my turtle are a large pebble and now Im worried. Once it was in her mouth, she seemed to choke on it several times before she finally got it down. What will happen to her now??
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

if it\'s out then it\'s out..how is she doing now??
lilo
Level 1
Level 1

Noooo...I said before she got it DOWN...she ate it alright. She seems fine right now...but that was only a little over an hour ago!!
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

You will more than likely have to take your turtle to the vet to have the pebble removed, and if I were you, I would remove the rest of the pebbles so it doesn\'t happen again, you can try river rocks, they are bigger and just as nice to look at, and more natural looking too, I mean, where do you see colored rocks of light blue and blue green???:D, anyway, I hope your turtle will be o.k., please keep us posted.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

oh ok..is it pooping normally? watch her and if it can\'t then u\'ll have to take her to the vet..try helping her by gently rubbing her thing with a warm wet clean cloth..it helps her getting things out..but first u will have to remove those pebbles..u can use anything bigger than the turtle\'s head for decoration so she doesn\'t eat them again

good luck and keep us posted
lilo
Level 1
Level 1

When you say the vet will \"remove\" the pebble...how will they do that?
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

by surgery?? i think so..
lilo
Level 1
Level 1

Okay, this is not good. I posted a few days ago that my turtle ate a pebble. Now she is behaving very strangely. Won't eat, and isn't really swimming...also her shell is turning white!!!
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Your turtle is probably plugged up by the pebble, you will need to take it to the vet to have the pebble removed, it probably doesn't eat because of the discomfort from the pebble. Keep us posted on what you decide to do.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

yes take it to the vet to remove it..

hope it'll be well soon,,good luck
lilo
Level 1
Level 1

Okay here is the update. I had decided to just watch her for a while and see if she passes the rock. The doctor told me she is too small to do surgery on, and to hope that she just passes it. He said it's not that uncommon! But it has been a while. I can't tell you the last time she ate anything. I am worried, but I am just trying to make her as comfortable as I can. The last two days I have put her outside in the warm sun with some fresh grass and a little wading pool...it really seems to perk her up. A few times though she did something weird...she would puff and her neck would get all wide, and then she would kind of foam up a bit at the mouth. I just hope she passes this thing---I dont want her to die! Any other thoughts would be great.
lilo
Level 1
Level 1

I cant believe this but she's dead. I called the vet because I had just left his office again only earlier today. We have had Lilo for a year now. The vet was shocked, but he said it was probably an obstruction. My kids and I discovered her upon returning home from school. Of course everyone cried.....we're going to bury her when Dad gets home. HUGE lesson here for me and my girls. The whole deal with not putting anything in the tank smaller than her head is a must. Poor Lilo suffered and died for no good reason.
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

I am sorry you lost your turtle. :(

The vet should've done something about the turtle swallowing the pebble, it is called an impaction, incase you want to get the vet wise to the situation, it means that the turtle was plugged up and couldn't pass the pebble, it makes me mad to see that some vets have no idea about treating reptiles, I would change vets if I were you.
lilo
Level 1
Level 1

Ya know what he told me? I mean the guy has 3 HUGE turtles walking around his office---he told me she was too small to cut into! He made it seem trivial! Believe me, he was shocked when I called to tell him she died! I mean, I bought this turtle in LA, moved to Maine with it, and now we're in St. louis. I just cant believe shes gone.
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

I have read on a board somewhere that a turtle has been operated on to remove pebbles, I don't think that they were much bigger. I wouldn't go back to that particular vet anymore, find another one that works on reptiles, what is called a herp vet. I am sorry you had to go through this, and I am glad to see that you did the right thing and try to get him the help he needed, unfortunately the one you went to didn't know what he was doing.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

so sorry for ur loss :(
ur lilo was gasping for air when it did the neck-stretching thing..look at the bright side, now she feels much better..i know how bad it is i lost my turtle Leo a while ago..he knows their heavens well now so he must be showing lilo around..don't worry she's in safe hands
  • Information