Fight

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
Vuki
Level 1
Level 1

I have two res,Theo and Spot.They\'re about two and a half years old, in a 55 gallon tank. They started fighting a few months ago, one of them keeps following the other and doing the tango dance with its claws, and Theo tollerates for about half an hour then he starts biting,does Spot want to mate or something? I didnt have the time(examns) to deal with the problem then, so i just put a glass screen in the middle of the tank, but they\'re growing real fast and space is becoming a problem. Any hope on making them up so i dont need to buy separate tanks?
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Unfortunately, as they grow older they will have issues about space and mating, if they both don\'t agree about mating, there more than likely will be some fighting.
purplem3pursuit
Level 2
Level 2

oh and also.. how do they mate? just in case i get some eggs, i need to know what to do
Last edited by purplem3pursuit on Sat Apr 23, 2005 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

hmmm this is a problem..my turtles are babies and the girl started bothering the little guy..i seperated them for a while (putting her in a small tank for detention) and then put her back with the other one and everything works fine now,,i don\'t know how it\'ll work with bigger turtles..seperate them for a while and re-introduce them again

hope it works
purplem3pursuit
Level 2
Level 2

how long did u seperate them.. my issue is i don\'t have an old tank laying around.. the one thing i did do is take the female out, leaving the male, and placed her on the floor near a heat lamp etc.. good choice? or should i take out the mail instead and let the female live it up in the tank.. i think the female likes being out.. she keeps sprawling out in front of the lamp..
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

put away the \"mistaken\" one..u don\'t have to get a new tank, any container will do for the meanwhile..i was able to put her in a tupperware cz she was less than 2 inches at that time..i don\'t remember exactly how long it was but it\'s no more than a week
purplem3pursuit
Level 2
Level 2

oh and what should i do about lighting for the jerk?
Last edited by purplem3pursuit on Sat Apr 23, 2005 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vuki
Level 1
Level 1

What about re-introducing them slowly ie.one hour each day ,then two,three...
Should I give it a shot,what do you guys think?
Vuki
Level 1
Level 1

Sorry, very important info I let out, they\'re both males
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

yep it\'s worth trying..and when they\'re not in the same tank put them aside so they can see each other all the time and get used to it (accept it)..

purplem3pursuit, yes a rubbermaid will do and u will need the lights and everything else..maybe u can put them beside each other and redirect the light every now and then..i know this is a bad idea but if u could afford getting all the required things then go for it..

good luck guys and keep us posted
  • Information