HELP???? I think my turtles SICK??? (ANOTHER QUESTION)

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
icortez21
Level 1
Level 1

HAVE ANOTHER QUESTION???? SHOULD I BE WORRIED IF MY TURTLE HAS A CRACK UNDERNEATH THE SIDE OF HIS SHELL? OR SHOULD I GO AHEAD AND TAKE HIM TO THE VET????? I KNOW HE NEEDS HEAT AND CAL. SUPPLEMENTS. BUT WHAT SHOULD I DO ABOUT THE CRACK????? IM WORRIED. HELP!!!!!!!!!!
HaxeOrdinary
Level 2
Level 2

Does it look like it\'s bothering him? Is it big? There are many factors that go into a cracked shell.

Here\'s what I found:

* If the turtle is bleeding excessively or there are caved-in portions of the shell, take to a vet immediately *

Remove turtle and place in a quarantine tank. Clean the injured area with clean water. Disinfect the area with iodine or betadine. Treat with Neosporin or triple action antibiotic. Let turtle be dry for about an hour after treatment. Place in separate tank with clean water. You can add StressCoat for fish as it assists in the healing process. Treat this way daily for about 2 weeks or so.

http://www.austinsturtlepage.com/Care/m ... tm#Cracked Shell:

Now, calcium will be good for it and really keep the water clean so that bacteria won\'t start to build up and work its way into the crack. Hope this helps!
  • Information