HELP???? I think my turtles SICK???

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
icortez21
Level 1
Level 1

today i cleaned out my booger(my turtle) bowl. Which he dirties very quickly. but i notice when i was cleaning his bowl. i also clean him has well, and his shell is very soft, and on one side underneath him it looks like it has a crack. DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO. Im a new mommy...... WHATS WRONG WITH HIM? WHAT SHOULD I DO? OR WHAT DOES HE NEED to make him BETTER???? I also notice that he is very lazy, but he\'s been like that since i got him! and all he does is SLEEP..... IF anyone has ADVICE, or KNOWS OF WHAT I SHOULD DO.... LET ME KNOW.....thanx
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

This is what the basic setup is supposed to be, the only thing is, it would probably be a good idea to upgrade before you need to, it would save you the headache later.

Your turtle needs calcium supplements and a Ultra Violet fluorescent bulb, UV bulb for short, it helps in processing the vitamin D3 in their system, it also needs a basking area where it can get completely out of the water.
Mine are getting a little too big for their turtle dock, I caught them basking the other day and their bellies were in the water:D:D, Oh well, time to get out the old thinking cap.:D:D
toxiceagle2007
Level 3
Level 3

I\'m having the same problem with my turtle dock. It doesn\'t help that ALL my snails like to hang out on the underside of it. I got a few brick to prop it up. The snails are awesome......the apple snail must have laid eggs or something cause I have a few too many. I\'ve been giving them away. Have a great weekeend everyone!!!!!
rachelmarie
Level 3
Level 3

nice picture, stray! a lot easier with a picture than typing out things that people might not understand.
HaxeOrdinary
Level 2
Level 2

I might have missed this but how old is your turtle? How big is his shell? My smallest turtle\'s shell was soft in the rear of the shell but that was because she was so young. It streghtened with time. About the lazy thing, your turtle might just be getting used to his surroundings or is just really young. One of mine slept ALL the time and it really freaked me out but now he is my most active. Being a new mom can be scary--it\'ll be okay!
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

nice picture, stray! a lot easier with a picture than typing out things that people might not understand.
Thanks, I made that a while ago to show new posters of another forum what the basic necessities for a baby turtle will be, that way they have an idea of what they will have to look for.
lilo
Level 1
Level 1

I dont know about the crack in the shell, but I can tell you I have had my turtle for a year, and kept her in the bowl for a long time. Then Santa brought an aquarium with all the goodies that other poster showed. OH MY GOSH! Her whole personality changed! She eats constantly now, basks and swims like a crazy lady!!! She is the happiest turtle ever! (Now lets hope that the fact that she just ate a pebble doesnt ruin all that)
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

bowl? sorry for the little guy but he really seems to be sick..get him the needed stuff and raise the temps..if u notice anything else like swollen eyes and if he stops eating (which i really hope he doesn\'t) then u\'ll have to take him to the vet.

good luck and keep us posted
  • Information