i\'m a newbie, i need help...again :(

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
timmy
Level 1
Level 1

my recently-discovered-that-he-is-a-she turtle has a cut on her leg. the skins is now brown and looks quite gross. what can i put on to treat the cut? is there anything that i can buy without going to the vet? \'cuz around where i live, there\'s no reptile vet
Posada
Level 2
Level 2

here is a quote from my turtle book \"a guide to owning turtles\"

\"Shallow wounds will usually heal automatically if swabbed daily with a mild antiseptic such as povidone iodine. A 10% salt solution bath will also be beneficial. Deep, badly infected woulds will need vet treatment as in some cases surgery, suturing, and administration of antibiotics may be required.\"

Also you can find a reptile vet out of town and just call and ask what you can do, what sort of antiseptic you can use and how often.
timmy
Level 1
Level 1

thank you very much for your help :) i still have lots to learn
Posada
Level 2
Level 2

I just took my baby to the vet today, just for a check up, and while I was there I asked what to do when they have a cut. My vet mentioned u can put peroxide on it, not too much tho bcuz it might contaminate the water

Maybe try puttin her in a small container of water and dab some peroxide on it there. Or you can wait awhile and just see if it will heal by itslef.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

check this link, it contains many kinds of creams and medicines for cuts http://www.austinsturtlepage.com/Care/m ... 0Scratches

and for the learning..it
s never over:)

good luck
timmy
Level 1
Level 1

thnx sooo much 4 the help. but my timmy is weird. she had the cut on her rite leg but both legs had the same brownish areas. they turned to white for a few days now. i dunno if she\'s hurt or not.
Last edited by timmy on Mon Apr 25, 2005 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

could u get any pix? it\'ll help us telling what might be wrong..is she using her feet??

use the medicines,,i read somewhere that usually if u didn\'t notice any improvements for a couple of days then u\'ll have to take her to the vet to get the right treatment..

i hope it\'s just minor,,good luck
timmy
Level 1
Level 1

i\'ll take some pictures of her legs. oh, she\'s using her feet all right. She swims just like she normally does. she still eats and she shows no sign of discomfort. thnx 4 ur help. I\'ll try to get the medicine. Having no cars to drive around, its kinda hard 4 me to get anywhere. i hope she gets better.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

hope she'll be fine soon..that's good news that they're not bothering her :)
  • Information