New Turtles

Discussions about turtles.
TheCaddy
Level 1
Level 1

I'm kind of new to the turtle scene, but really loving it. My red eared slider is about 2 inches, and I feel like he needs a friend. I would like to find an albino one about the same size, does anyone know where I might get one.

Turtles are rad
LuciasAmen-ra
Level 3
Level 3

i havent seen many albino turtles but a Albino Box turtle. It may be hard finding one like that sort. You would be better off mating 2 sliders and seeing what turns up and sell the babies to make money, then you can get stuff for your tank. When or if you get one, please take a picture of it, i have never seen one.
Pat S.

Albino red ear sliders do exist but are very rare and from what i hear are much more difficult to keep. I have seen them at reptile shows and swap meets that come through the ohio area. Most albinos will cost anywhere from $150 and $200. I had a chance to buy one hatchling but didnt because i had always heard they needed specialzed care to keep them healthy so to me it wasnt worth the money as much as i wanted one.
TheCaddy
Level 1
Level 1

Do you know where I can buy a small slider? It doesn't have to be an albino. I'm having trouble locating any.
blejnbaby
Level 3
Level 3

Where are you located? Call your pet shops. Most shop owners will get some in for you. They usually range in the prices from $9-10 apiece. Sometimes if they are smaller you have to buy a caddy and they give you the turtle for free. If they make you pay for a turtle under 4 inches then you are illegaly buying a turtle.
If the pet shop doesn't sell turtles, see if they know a turtle breeder or anyone that breeds turtles. Do a little responisbilty background and make sure that the breeder is handling and keeping care of his turtles in the right way. Come this spring you maybe able to adopt a turtle. Good luck!
TheCaddy
Level 1
Level 1

I am near Dallas, TX.
meskillll
Level 1
Level 1

In Ft. Worth there's this place called the Aquarium Store on Camp Bowie. They have quarter size red ears right now. If you've seen any painted or red belly sliders, pass it on. I'm near Ft. Worth. Thanks
  • Information