Some turtle tank questions

Post any questions you have about an aquatic turtle tank setup here. Or if you have a picture of your aquatic turtle tank setup picture, we would love to see it.
Brian

Hello everyone, first I just wanted to say what a great site this is. Very informational and friendly. I have been keeping fish for about 10years or so and would now like to take the turtle plunge. Currently I have a 50gal. fish tank (48x12?). This tank is a long tank rather than a wide breeder tank. I also have a fluval 304, two tronic heaters with heater guards, a 24inch florescent fixture, and plenty of Estes white aquarium gravel. The question is could I keep 1 RES in this tank with all the equipment I have plus a basking lamp and a UVB bulb? should I just get rid of the white gravel and have bare bottom? what about the filtration power of the fluval for one turtle? I\'m sorry for the long post and i\'m sure i\'ll have more questions soon but i\'m trying to do some research before I spend uncessary $$$. Thx for any help
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

It already sounds like you have a better setup than most of us (at least me) have, the only thing that is missing is the turtle dock, the filtration is alot better than I have so that is not a problem, as for the pebbles, the problem with those is that some turtles get curious with them and will swallow them and it usually causes problems with their system, it plugs them up. Other than that, the only thing I see that is left is the lifelong commitment to a turtle that will last (if taken care of properly) 35 to 40 years.

We will be waiting to hear what you decide.:D and welcome to allturtles message board.
Brian

alright so I take it that for one RES the fluval is powerful enough, but what should I put inside it since theres 3 \"cartridges\"? maybe all carbon with replacments once a month? and another question is how do I go about cleaning this thing? I mean, u cant leave any soap residue inside the tank but I cant move this tank around to rinse it off. So how do I clean it? I think i\'m going to get one of those clear plastic turtle ramps by Terapet (I think thats the company) -It should be easy to clean. And the tank will be substrate-free so that should reduce problems too. I just need to figure out how much it will cost to maintain a turtle set-up per month (I\'m in college). The commitment doesnt sound like a problem to me- I study Biology and find all living thing very interesting (aquatic things especially)
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

welcome to the board:)
did u notice that the \"medicine team\" is growing in here? :p
  • Information