submersible heater

Post any questions you have about an aquatic turtle tank setup here. Or if you have a picture of your aquatic turtle tank setup picture, we would love to see it.
Jackietwo
Level 1
Level 1

I have a submersible heater- should it be blocked off from the turtles? I have two small RES. I read on an older post that you can cover it with rocks? I have a piece of plastic gutter guard around it, but the turtles dig underneath and sit on top of the heater anyway. Is this ok? I don\'t want them to get burnt or anything. The rocks idea would look better. Again, Thanks for all your help. (A mom worrying about her babies.)
rachelmarie
Level 3
Level 3

a lot of heaters tells you specifically NOT to put anything around them. this blocks the water flow and makes the heater not work properly to heat the water.

my submersible heater is not covered by anything. it does not get so hot as to burn something around it.

tell you what (although you aren\'t supposed to put your hand in the water when it is plugged in) .. next time it is on .. put your hand on it and feel it. it really doesn\'t get HOT hot! ;) good luck.
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

If you do put something like a sleeve on the water heater, make sure that the sleeve has alot of hole in it, that will ensure that it gets plenty of water circulation so it doesn\'t over heat. That is what I am planning to do next time it gets cold enough to need a heater, right now the temp. has remained just above 80* without a water heater, I have a thermometer in the water to monitor the temp. when I give them food or change the water.
Jackietwo
Level 1
Level 1

I ended up taking the gutter guard away. The tank looks better without it and the turtles seem fine. Thanks for your input. This site has been a great help.
yaya
Level 4
Level 4

if ur \"gutter part\" is not adequate i suggest a pvc pipe with enought hole in it to make sure the water circulate enought...
Last edited by yaya on Wed Apr 13, 2005 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
toxiceagle2007
Level 3
Level 3

If you are worried about the turtles breakign the heater, I have a titanium heater. Its made of metal, fully submersible and best of all the turts can\'t break it. I also have a heater made of temperature resistant plastic. It seems to work fine too!
rachelmarie
Level 3
Level 3

it would take a lot to break a sturdy glass heater. just make sure no big rocks are near it that could do any great damage to it if something WERE to happen, which would be really random.
Jackietwo
Level 1
Level 1

Since I\'ve taken away the guard they don\'t seem to be bothering the heater. I\'ll keep an eye on them, though. Thanks!
yaya
Level 4
Level 4

rachelmarie wrote:
it would take a lot to break a sturdy glass heater. just make sure no big rocks are near it that could do any great damage to it if something WERE to happen, which would be really random.
i\'m sorry but i disagree with u....it doesn\'t take that much to brake a glass heater,and the guard is something keeper do recommend...however,i\'m not worry for them right now(since they are hatchling but it something to look into when the turtle get bigger....
toxiceagle2007
Level 3
Level 3

I should mention that I broke the heater cleaning the tank. A small rock hit it and the glass tube broke off.
Last edited by toxiceagle2007 on Sat Apr 16, 2005 6:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
  • Information