Finally got my turtle .. YEAYUH. Couple Q\'s tho ..

Discussions about turtles.
SkeetSkeetPinoy
Level 1
Level 1

Ok so I finally got my ***** turtle lol. I got hella impatient after 2 weeks of not getting it, but when I finally got it ( 2 days ago ) I got hella excited and cleaned and set up a tank with great effort lol. My turtle seems pretty coo in its new home and after a new, unfortunate, discovery I decided to name it Fupl (pronounced Fupple. Reason being that later that day I discovered that his back left foot is injure, thus he has a F**ked up Leg so F(**ed) + UP + L (eg) = Fupl. But it\'s okay, I\'m still determined to take the best care of him I can, and he still gets along fine with the other three limbs. But anyways .. oh yea not sure it\'s a girl or boy so yea haha.

Two problems tho .. I tried feeding him turtle puellets but he jus bites it a couple times then doesn\'t eat the whole pellet. Is he just not hungry or wusup with that? I\'m kinda worried he won\'t eat.

And the other thing, what kinda lamp would you recomend for the basking light. I\'m jus using a regular lamp right now .. 60 watt with a 60 watt basking bulb .. is this dangerous? Where can I buy a lamp like the on in the indoor water turtle set up? The lemp that points straight down? Hmm yea, I think that one should do better ..

Well anyways. I\'m lovin my new turtle regardless of the injuries and I\'m glad I finally have one, but if someone could answer the questions that\'d help too. Arii peas.
rachelmarie
Level 3
Level 3

haha i like the creativity of the name.

snap the sticks in half. they might be too big for his mouth. i starting doing this with my little guy and he starting eating everything instead of just taking bites. but even if he continues to just take bites, at least he is eating something. he might not be used to eating sticks and is just doing that at first. give him time and i know he will be fine.
toxiceagle2007
Level 3
Level 3

The basking light bulb might overheat the lamp. Most basking lamps have the bulb connection connected in a material that won\'t crack/melt when heated. If you leave the lamp on for too long, it might cause somthing to melt/burn/crack. I\'d suggest getting a true \"basking lamp\" just to be on the save side.
rachelmarie
Level 3
Level 3

i use a lamp with a 60 watt bulb and have since i got my little guy. it has a metal housing, so i don\'t worry about anything happening to it.

but, eventually (once i get a bigger setup) i am going to get a light especially for the little guys. they sell them at virtually every pet store i\'ve ever been in.
Captain_Turtle
Level 3
Level 3

The turtle just doesn\'t like turtle pellets. Its all a matter of one turtle\'s taste.

If it is a turtle around 5 inches, you could try to feed it vegetables. Remember, no iceberg lettuce or spinach. If you want to feed it butter lettuce, wash it very thoroughly. Romaine is pretty good.

For protein, try some shrimp (cooked, unseasoned) or some worms. Earthworms and snails are fine, but remember also to wash them thorougly. You never know where it has been and what harmful chemicals it could be carrying.

As for lightbulbs, use UV-B ones, you could buy some like Reptisun or something like that. Regular lightbulbs only provide heat. However, if you have a commercial reptile one, it could help the turtle to utilize vitamins and nutrients more efficiently.

As for your Third invisible inquiry regarding quality television, watch Enterprise on UPN Fridays @ 8:00 or 7:00.
SkeetSkeetPinoy
Level 1
Level 1

lol Well thanks you guys. Yea, I\'ll try the breaking into smaller pieces thing, and other variety of foods too. But one more question about the lighting .. about how long do you think i could leave a regular lamp on with a special bulb inside it for before things go bad? It is made of metal and its not touching anything that could melt or burn .. but then again it wasn\'t made for basking bulbs so yea. Well I\'m jus curious. K thanks for the info tho you guys.
rachelmarie
Level 3
Level 3

i just use a regular bulb and have used it for sometimes more than 12 hours a day for over 8 months now.

i do not know about a special bulb, though. i wouldn\'t even trust it for an hour without supervision. only because those lamps are not made to handle extra wattage or anything different than a normal light bulb. you might want to just use a normal bulb until you can upgrade.
SkeetSkeetPinoy
Level 1
Level 1

ic ic. Arii thanks for that too.

lol another question tho .. haha my bad im prolli buggin you guys. ok like .. can turtles heal hella good? i guess like .. if its leg was fucked up and he pretty much used his 3 other legs and not that one leg, would that leg eventually get better? i ono .. i kinda jus remmember spider mans enemy lizardman or sumthing who could regenerate body parts and that\'s why that scientist put that reptile blood in him cuz he was missing an arm but then it grew back .. but then he turned into a mutant or sumthing. hahaha anyways, i mean to say, is that true? could it regenerate body parts like that? overtime? hahah i ono ... =D
SkeetSkeetPinoy
Level 1
Level 1

oh and yea, i broke the food into pieces and fupl eats`em now lol. thanks for suggestion.
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

I know that lobsters,crabs and some lizards can do that, but with lizards it is usually only the tail that does that, it is a defense mechanism, I have never heard of turtles doing that so I doubt that your turtle will grow a new one, even though it is a reptile.
yaya
Level 4
Level 4

about ur basking light...if u use another lamp for ur uvb need u can use a normal 60watt bulb for the basking..just make sure u use it with a CERAMIC SOCKET(usually they good till 250 watt)so that way u sure u not goiing to melt ur socket...personnally i use a \"clamp lamp\" that i buy for less then 10$ canadian at the home depot...with a normal housebulb of 60watt..if ur basking temp is a bit too low or too high,u can increase or decrease the wattage and that should do the trick...but like other say,it\'s only for ur heat need(in the basking spot)u must have another lightning for the UV ray...
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

nope they won\'t regenerate cz there are many turtles missing part especially tails..is it missing or only injured? it differs
  • Information