age?

Discussions about turtles.
Jackietwo
Level 1
Level 1

My husband and daughter came home with two sliders last July from a flea market. Both hibernated - one made it through, one didn\'t. About three weeks ago, they went back to the market and picked up another RES. My questions:
1. How often do you give them the cuttlebone for calcium?
2. They are small-maybe 1 inch across the shell- how old would they be? Both are about the same size. Size equal age?
3. Also the new one has trouble with his/her eyes. I got the drops from the pet store and the eyes clear up for a day or two or three then cloud up again. I do put in the stuff to balance the water. I\'m not sure what\'s next? Thanks for your help.
toxiceagle2007
Level 3
Level 3

Size doesn\'t necessarily equal age. I\'d say they were pretty young if they are only an inch. Definately less than a year. I don\'t give mine cuttlebone for calcium, but they have always had nice, hard shells. I know they sell turtle blocks that contain calcium and dissolve in the water. I don\'t know how well that works.

You might see a vet about the eyes. It might be kinda costly, but turtles are never cheap!

Welcome to the board, I hope I\'ve helped!
rachelmarie
Level 3
Level 3

i\'m a little concerned that a turtle you got last july is still only an inch big. has he been sick at all? does he eat everyday?

and for a turtle that small to hibernate .. seems a little confusing to me.
Jackietwo
Level 1
Level 1

He is actually wonderful, he eats (like a pig, if I let him), swims basks, comes up to look at me and lets me pet his head. Seems very happy/healthy.The new one is the one I\'m concerned about. He is sleeping alot- hasn\'t eaten in three days. He ate about two or three days after we brought him home. I moved them both into their permanent home a 10 gallon that I finally got set up. So I hope it\'s just an adustment. The new one swims and basks some. He opens his eyes and looks at me. His eyes clear up then get funny looking again. I give him his eye drops when I catch him basking. I don\'t want to handle him too much. How would I try to feed him without having the other one come over to eat? Do you leave a food dish in the water? thanks again
rachelmarie
Level 3
Level 3

i feed my turtles out of their tank. i put them both in separate containers so that i know exactly how much food each one is getting. this also helps with keeping the tank clean.

if you do this, just make sure you put a little water in the bottom of the container you are feeding your turtle in. they use the water just the same as we use our saliva.

did you just now move both turtles into a 10 gallon tank? i would imagine that if they (the \"old\" turtle and the one that unfortunately passed) were in something smaller, this is most likely why he is still only an inch big.
Jackietwo
Level 1
Level 1

As I mentioned before my husband and 6 year old daughter came home with them from a flea market. We know Nothing! about turtles and I was trying to find someone to take them. I did some research and decided it\'s alot of work especially when they got bigger. By the time I found someone to take them - I got hooked! And yes, I had them in a medium size rubbermaid container, I did get them a basking light and gave them an area to swim and some space to bask. But it really was the basics..Now - I guess because one is new (Squirt) and jumpy, I\'m trying not to handle him too much and I don\'t want to take him out to feed him because he just freezes up. I might take the old one out (Mystery)he takes to things better. I can pick him up and talk to him, he just looks. He adjusted really well. Is it true that they grow within their environment? I heard both views, people keep telling me that they only grow to the size of where they live?
toxiceagle2007
Level 3
Level 3

I have heard that they grow to their environment too. I heard that they don\'t get bigger (due to a small environment) because of deformities caused by lack of space. You\'re better off giving them as much room as possible. I hope this help:D
  • Information