Turtle Disease

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
lewiebob

I recently lost my turtle to some kind of disease (I think). I called a vet and they could not help me. And by time I could reach a better vet it was to late. I would still like to know what went wrong. I had two red-ear sliders (now one) and I do not want the same thing to happen again. The turtle I lost had a very funny shaped shell on the bottom. It was sunk in, however he still ate, basked, and floated fine. I do not know if this is something common in small turtles or not. He was the size of the top of a soda can when he past away. He ate Krill,Crickets,and turtle pellets. His shell was sunk in for sometime but since he was still eating and basking I did not think there was a problem. I was wrong and by time I seen that it was not just a defect in his shell it was to late. I still have the other turtle and want to do everything possible to prevent this from happening again. Lewis is smaller and his shell looks to be normal but I would like to know if anyone here has heard of this before and what happened. Thank You for any information anyone can provide.
rachelmarie
Level 3
Level 3

although i haven\'t ever heard of anything like this, i feel like it probably wasn\'t something you could control.

it sounds like it might have been something that the turtle was already having a problem with before you got him. he might have been born with a defect.

again, i do not believe this is very common and it be possible that there was nothing you could do to help him.
lewiebob

It is weird because I had him for about 21/2 years. He seemed to be happy. I mean I diden\'t hear any complaints from him!LOL Does anyone know if it would be a good ideal to purchase another turtle so lewie will not feel alone? I do not want him to became sick because he lost his friend. But then again I\'m not even sure if they were friends! I guess what I am asking is it better to have a pair of turtles?
toxiceagle2007
Level 3
Level 3

Turtles should be fine alone. Your turtle might even become teritorial and agressive if you introduce a new turtle. Sorry for you loss...
Last edited by toxiceagle2007 on Thu Apr 07, 2005 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

That curve on the bottom of the shell would probably be normal since he was a he, female\'s bottom shell (plastron)will be convex (bowed out)to make room for the eggs, and a male\'s plastron will be concave (bowed in) so it will fit on the female\'s top shell during mating, so unless the curve was a very deep curve, then I don\'t think that had anything to do with your turtle\'s death.
rachelmarie
Level 3
Level 3

STRAYKINGFISHER wrote:
That curve on the bottom of the shell would probably be normal since he was a he, female\'s bottom shell (plastron)will be convex (bowed out)to make room for the eggs, and a male\'s plastron will be concave (bowed in) so it will fit on the female\'s top shell during mating, so unless the curve was a very deep curve, then I don\'t think that had anything to do with your turtle\'s death.
i thought this at first, but to me it sounded much more severe.

let us know either way so that we can help you narrow down what could have been the problem.
lewiebob

The bottom shell was not all curved in. Just in the middle on both sides. It was curved in fairly far. I did call a vet and try to see if they could help but the vet said he knew nothing and could not find anything to help me either. We bought him (at least I think it was a he) at a flea market in Ohio. So we think mybe he was sick from the time we got him. We also purchased the second turtle at the same place so hopefully this turtle is not sick as well. The first turtle was a picky eater and would not eat the pellets however our second turtle will eat whatever is put into the tank. I was weird because the 1st turtle was eating the whole time he was living. I don\'t know though. I just felt bad because there was nothing I could find to help him. I would like to know if it was something I could of prevented incase our 2nd turtle starts to have the same reaction. So far it looks to be fine. Nothing is wrong with it\'s shell but it is still young. The 1st turtle was very young when we got it as well. They were both very small more an likely under or around 4\". Also I have heard that the curve in a shell only applies to torts and not turtles. But I do not know I am not an turtle sex expert or anything! LOL Thanks for trying to help I really appreciate it.
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

You\'re welcome, here is a link to some reptile vets: http://www.arav.org/USMembers.htm , just click on your state and you should see all the herp vets in your state, maybe one close to you that knows about reptiles.
  • Information