dead turtle

Discussions about turtles.
isabelle

hi every turtle lover!
i wrote to carminemily59 over the weekend because i sympathized with her for her loss because my daughter experienced the same thing friday. now we are not sure what could have caused minime to die so fast and so young . there are a few things we think might have caused minime\'s death,first travelling,martine comes over here every second weekend and of course minime followed. the change of water, me and martines dad both have wells so that makes our water not as good as city water and im sure we both have a lot different things in our water (although buddy is living very well in my water.he is not travelling .)there must not be a big difference in temperature and lower temperatures only numbs them ,reasonable i mean. may be it could have been that brownish stain he had a while back but that stain went away and never seemed to have an adverse effect on his health .the day before he died martine told me that he was sort of gasping with his mouth ,opening and closing repeatedly i asked martine if he could have swallowed something but she assured me no, i thought maybe a rock but she said no .so to this day it remains an unsolved mystery and we don\'t know where we might have gone wrong could it have been his size? he was a little big bigger than a 2 dollar (canadian) in case you are wondering!!!!!! anyways we have replaced minime now so we\'ll avoid the travelling and everything it involves for a while until he grows bigger because this one is about the same size has minime was .so hoping to get maybe a good hint on what could have happened until then i say goodnight and love your turtles!!! bye bye
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

i\'m sorry for ur loss..it must have been an RI, common fatal disease among turtles..the gasping thing was that he couldn\'t get enough air (obviously) and needed immediate treatment..i will have to envy u in one thing, he didn\'t suffer a lot and so u didn\'t while watching him die..

sorry for ur loss again, wish u have better luck next time and with the other buddy
isabelle

thanks for your fast answer it is greatly appreciated but im wondering since you seem to be familiar with that condition what the treatment should have been and i\'d love your opinion on the travelling and water change because i feel martine enjoys taking her turtle with her and she is able to take care of it while she is here for the weekend (she does not trust her stepsisters to take care of it!!!) bye bye for now talk to you soon, by the way i didn\'t catch your name? anyways bye bye
rachelmarie
Level 3
Level 3

my turtle had a respiratory infection. i also travel with him (now them because i got another little guy) a lot.

i\'m in college and have a long distance relationship with someone back home. which means, i travel home .. a lot!

as long as the proper precautions are taken, i think that a turtle would get very conditioned with the travelling and be fine with it. my guys are used to it now. initially they would stop eating for a day or two due to being unfamiliar with the trip and new atmosphere.

water temperature is an extremely important thing. i would suggest that you get a thermometer at both houses so that you can keep a very close eye on the water temperature. after all, a cold tank could have been the cause of your turtle getting the RI in the first place. cool drafts are also not very good for the little guys.

the turtles should be kept between 75º-80ºF. a touch higher is good for hatchlings. (say, approximately 82º.)

if it is possible, create an environment for the turtle that is identical to the one he lives in at your daughter\'s father\'s house. this way, the turtles will only have to adjust to the travelling .. and not the change of scenery.

travelling DOES stress turtles out, but i would have to say that if the water temperature was not being monitored .. this was the cause of your little guy getting sick.

for treatment, i was given 8 shots full of medication and i gave a shot to my guy once every 3 days. it can get pricey, but i\'d rather pay than watch the little guy suffer. they also gave him a shot of vitamin .. A .. i believe. it could have been C.

if you aren\'t familiar with the warning signs of an RI in a turtle, it might be hard to detect. they will become very unactive and bask A LOT. they will stop eating. also, they will do the gasping for air that your daughter described once the infection gets progressively worse. (just some warning signs to look for in the future.) my guy is fully recovered and is crazy as ever!

sorry this is soooooo long! my name is rachel (obviously) if you have any more questions, i\'d be happy to answer them. good luck!
toxiceagle2007
Level 3
Level 3

I travel frequently with my turtles. They stay in a cool whip dish with a moisten cloth until i can get them to where we are going. I usually don\'t travel further than an hour with them though. The turts don\'t seem to mind. They acutally kinda like going in the car I think! Hope this helps!
isabelle

thanks a lot rachel and toxiceagle all of your comments are very helpful i sure will keep them in mind and i like especially the wet cloth . one thing i\'d like is some more details on the water, do turtles have a hard time to adapt to different waters or maybe i could put a supplement in the travelling turtle\'s water so it always has the same content and the same taste and feel!!!(the one here and martine\'s dad ). as for water temperature i will keep a closer look at that, it sounds like may be that could be where we went wrong ,now i feel so bad thinking we could have avoided this tragic loss *****!!!! i\'ll get over it thanks again and have you hugged your turtles today? just thought i\'d try this on you guys ha ha ha see you all soon
rachelmarie
Level 3
Level 3

i use a water conditioner called aqua safe. i bought it from walmart, i think. it\'s a few bucks and it helps to remove some chemicals from the water. you could try that. that is the only thing that i add to my turtles\' water.

don\'t feel bad. i did the same thing to my guy. i was just happy i got to this site fast and got him to a vet. he\'s a happy guy today! this only taught you what to look for in the future.

any other questions, let us know. otherwise .. good luck!
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

I wouldn\'t think that well water would be bad for a turtle, if anything, it would probably be better for them, since it comes form the ground, it is already filtered, we used to have well water that we used for drinking so I know that the turtle can live in it. I believe that the real factor in your turtle\'s death was probably due to water temp. and basking temp. just keep an eye on both of those and your remaining turtle should be fine. I used to have a water heater in the tank, but I noticed that the water temp. was rising to the 80\'s so I took it out, I didn\'t want to have it accidentally turn on and cook my turtles, I still check about 5 or 6 times a day, at least once in the morning and 5 times during the afternoon, don\'t really have to, just a little paranoid, I guess.:D:D
isabelle

well,you guys won't believe this,we had replaced the turtle with a new one.the turtle died last weekend!!!! so i wonder could they be holding some kind of disease that whenever they reach a certain age it just pops up and kills them?there was no apparent signs.we had him for a little while may be 3 months and bang!break martine's heart once again.martine has another turtle that lives in the same tank . i believe this one has passed the crucial stage because he is still alive and a bit bigger than the one we just lost.could it be the place where we buy them? they do look very healthy and lively.martine said it died almost the same way as the previous one.his mouth open and his eyes half shut.sorry for such crude details.anyways i'll keep in touch.you all have a good day.
rachelmarie
Level 3
Level 3

respiratory infections are VERY common. even something as simple as a a cool draft from an air vent or a door kept open during the fall could make your little guy sick. when my guy had this, his eyes were swollen as well. a lot of people mistake swollen eyes for eye infections, but if it accompanied by the wheezing and gasping .. it is all part of sadly, dying from the infection.

if your turtle was gasping, it had an infection and was sick. the infection is in the lungs and can lead to pnuemonia if not treated. now, think of a human getting pnuemonia .. they go into the hospital. it's a very bad thing to happen.

you're very lucky your other turtle that shares the tank with him did not get sick!

since you still have a turtle and you are not familiar with the sign of an RI .. here you go: if you turtle becomes lethargic, is always out of the water, has his head down and limbs in (instead of superman style), he stops eating, is opening his mouth, is making faint noises (these are coughs and sneezes), has swollen eyes, and (i noticed this with my guy) get a snot looking material on the glass of the tank by the basking area .. he could have a RI. if you notice anything that seems different and not healthy .. take your babe to the vet.

good luck and sorry to hear about this.
isabelle

thanks so much Rachelmarie, unfortunately martine had been away for a couple of days so she didn't notice the turtle,she had her stepsister take care of the feeding and she is not into turtles! so from what you tell me i'd be correct to believe that the smaller(younger turtles) ones are very fragile when it comes to sudden temp. changes and drafts.because my buddy here has had sudden drops of water temp and he has been outside during hot weather, taken back inside,allowed to wander on the house floors. sudden drops of water temp. but of course it was slow enough for him to handle it.anyways i'll tell martine to be more aware of those very important signs i don't think she could handle such a loss again.you have a good night :wink:
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

i'm sorry to hear about ur other loss :( it is sad how baby turtles pass away that peacefully. it should be something with the pet shop u're getting them from. what are the conditions they have them in? now take care of the other little guy and i hope he has a good long life :)
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

I am sorry to hear about your turtle:(
isabelle

thank you guys,it is so heartwarming to know there is someone out there to share their good and sad experiences with.i talked to martine this evening and according to her the other turtle is doing fine,but seems very lonely,i say seem i think its more like IS!!!!!!another question, has anyone ever noticed their turtle going into a depression after a loss?just wondering .some pets are known to react badly when they lose a friend (pet or human)i wonder if it coulsd be the same with turtles or if anyone has observed some mourning. or its just us thinking how we know how they must feel?anyways i am anxious to get a reply to this last question!!!!you all have a good night :arrow:
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

u should always know that we're here to share everything especially about the common thing between us, turtles :)

for ur Q, they say that turtles prefer living by themselves and that when we think they're lonely, it's only bcz we think that they should feel so. for me, i believe that turtles have feelings and will feel with any changes that happen around them (death, move, change in the tank or even the basking area...). but although i believe in that, the experience i had doesn't prove it :roll: when i lost one of my turtles the other didn't seem to care and even when she got a new tank mate, she didn't care either
  • Information